Unable to mount after reboot (Active processes)

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

After rebooting my machine I can no longer mount my remote. I have a systemd unit that starts my mount for my remote on startup.

After restarting my machine I can no longer mount. I can see that the status is enabled and 'starting'. I cannot stop, disable or restart the service and in the logs there are lots of entries queuing cache for upload

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.61.1

• os/version: ubuntu 22.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.15.0-67-generic (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.4
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Are you on the latest version of rclone?

It seems not - I'm not sure the propper practice for updating rclone - I thought it would be done through apt

EDIT: I Have now updated to the latest version

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

[Unit]
Description=GDrive Data (rclone)
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=notify

User=rclone
Group=media

ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount gdrive:OPFE /mnt/opfe/data --allow-other --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 400G --vfs-write-back 30m --user-agent "Uranium/Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS/Rclone" --umask 002 --uid 13001 --gid 13000 --dir-perms 0775 --file-perms 664 --log-systemd --log-level INFO
ExecStop=/usr/bin/fusermount -zu /mnt/opfe/data

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[gdrive]
type = drive
client_id = [redacted]
client_secret = [redacted]
scope = drive
token = [redacted]
team_drive = 

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Not relevant I don't think?

This is what the status looks like. It seems like the log is going around in circles queuing cache for upload.

● mount-gdrive.service - GDrive Data (rclone)
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mount-gdrive.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: activating (start) since Sun 2023-03-26 15:27:14 CEST; 1min 26s ago
   Main PID: 2840 (rclone)
      Tasks: 11 (limit: 38306)
     Memory: 19.0M
        CPU: 577ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/mount-gdrive.service
             └─2840 /usr/bin/rclone mount gdrive:OPFE /mnt/opfe/data --allow-other --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 400G --vfs-write-back 30m --user-agen

hello and welcome to the forum,

https://rclone.org/install/#script-installation

change --log-level INFO to --log-level DEBUG
run the command and post the full debug output.

Hi there and thank you!

I've updated to the latest version - thanks for that.

I've also changed my log level to DEBUG - what command shall I run/show the output of? I haven't executed any other commands - systemd has taken care of everything until now?

if you want a well-tested systemd for rclone mount + gdrive, check out

I appreciate the help - I fear we are veering away from my issue.

Specifically I cannot stop/restart the service. The service has jobs cycling round its cache. I can't therefore remount the remote?

Here is an example now it's in DEBUG - maybe relevant?

Mar 26 16:09:19 boss rclone[4002]: DEBUG : backstage/incomplete/Bond.50.Dr.No.1962.BluRay.1080p.DTS-HD.MA.5.1.AVC.REMUX-FraMeSToR/__ADMIN__: Added virtual directory entry vAddFile: "SABnzbd_attrib"
Mar 26 16:09:19 boss rclone[4002]: DEBUG : gdrive: Loaded invalid token from config file - ignoring
Mar 26 16:09:29 boss rclone[4002]: DEBUG : gdrive: Token refresh failed try 1/5: Post "https://oauth2.googleapis.com/token": dial tcp: lookup oauth2.googleapis.com on 127.0.0.53:53: read udp 127.0.0.1:57870->127.0.0.53:53: i/o timeout
Mar 26 16:09:30 boss rclone[4002]: DEBUG : gdrive: Loaded invalid token from config file - ignoring
Mar 26 16:09:37 boss systemd[1]: mount-gdrive.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
Mar 26 16:09:37 boss systemd[1]: mount-gdrive.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Mar 26 16:09:37 boss systemd[1]: Failed to start GDrive Data (rclone).
Mar 26 16:09:37 boss systemd[1]: Starting GDrive Data (rclone)...

Your system can't resolve DNS so you want to fix that.

I was a bit surprised to see this also. There are no issues with DNS on the host and all my services prior to the restart were working ok. I wonder if the above error is related to the DNS issue I and others faced recently at Hetzner. - I have googleapis.com in my hosts file.

It's not related.

That error means you can't resolve DNS on that box as it's a local issue on the machine.

I mentioned that the log goes around in circles.... failing to start and then queueing cache for upload before going around again.

I've posted an entire cycle

To re-iterate @Animosity022 - I have not seen the DNS error again since and all appears to be fine

bossy@boss:~/butler3$ tracepath googleapis.com
 1?: [LOCALHOST]                      pmtu 1500
 1: [redacted]clients.your-server.de               0.470ms 
 1: [redacted].clients.your-server.de               0.368ms 
 2:  [redacted].fsn1.hetzner.com                               0.734ms 
 3:  core1.fra.hetzner.com                                 5.132ms 
 4:  142.250.160.234                                       5.295ms asymm  9 

It seems that rather than finish uploading and then the service stopping so I can restart it - the cache is never uploaded (as it doesn't reach 30 mins?) before the service attempts to restart?

So what's the current problem you are facing as that log is working..

Mar 26 17:42:52 boss systemd[1]: mount-gdrive.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
Mar 26 17:42:52 boss systemd[1]: mount-gdrive.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Mar 26 17:42:52 boss systemd[1]: Failed to start GDrive Data (rclone).
Mar 26 17:42:52 boss systemd[1]: Starting GDrive Data (rclone)...

After that - it lists everything it's queuing for upload. And then starts with a 'timeout' again.

I can't stop the service nor restart it. I cannot start my dockers as they are dependant on rclone.

It seems that it has jobs in a queue and that's why I can't end the service?

Specifically the status is shown as

● mount-gdrive.service - GDrive Data (rclone)
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mount-gdrive.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: activating (start) since Sun 2023-03-26 17:54:54 CEST; 2s ago

'Activating' runs around in a cycle every few minutes.... normally it would say 'Running' and show status info.

I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense to you? I'm trying to explain it as clearly as I can!

Try adding a bigger timeout to your service as it's taking quite some time to start.

TimeoutSec=900

or something bigger if it takes longer.

Added - will monitor now.

Saw this also: Running as systemd daemon fails with large vfs cache - #6 by vercas

I thought it could be something like this - and given your help and what I read in the other thread...

Added TimeoutSec=900 and it logged the cache and started up a charm!

Thanks again @Animosity022

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.