Unable to create bucket. Throws region error even though the right region has been selected

Hi there,

Running rclone v1.40

I created an s3 config file using rclone config create and passed in a few parameters as key, value pairs.

This was my rclone config create command -

rclone config create remote s3 access_key_id XXX secret_access_key YYY region us-west-1 location_constraint us-west-1

In the end my config looks like this -

[remote]
type = s3
config_automatic = yes //set this to no and tried. Still didn’t work.
access_key_id = XXX
secret_access_key = YYY
region = us-west-1
location_constraint = us-west-1

I was able to list buckets running rclone lsd remote:

I deleted all the buckets and want to create a new one. Every time I run rclone mkdir remote:bucket, I get an error like this -

2018/04/20 12:53:48 ERROR : Attempt 1/3 failed with 1 errors and: BucketRegionError: incorrect region, the bucket is not in ‘us-west-1’ region
_ status code: 301, request id: , host id: _
2018/04/20 12:53:48 ERROR : Attempt 2/3 failed with 1 errors and: BucketRegionError: incorrect region, the bucket is not in ‘us-west-1’ region
2018/04/20 12:53:48 ERROR : Attempt 3/3 failed with 1 errors and: BucketRegionError: incorrect region, the bucket is not in ‘us-west-1’ region
2018/04/20 12:53:48 Failed to mkdir: BucketRegionError: incorrect region, the bucket is not in ‘us-west-1’ region
status code: 301, request id: , host id:

What am I doing wrong? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Tej

I think we got to the bottom of this here: https://github.com/ncw/rclone/issues/2266