Unable to access contents using a windows computer of a network shared rclone mounted Google drive stored on a Raspberry Pi

STOP and READ USE THIS TEMPLATE NO EXCEPTIONS - By not using this, you waste your time, our time and really hate puppies. Please remove these two lines and that will confirm you have read them.

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Using a windows computer I am attempting to access the contents of a network shared rclone mounted Google drive I have stored on a raspberry pi 3 but I have been unsuccessful. I have turned on a Samba share for the Google Drive folder.

According to my search it seems others have been successful in achieving this but I have not had the same luck.

Rclone and Samba - Help and Support - rclone forum

I am trying to see if there is a rclone command with specific flags I can type into the raspberry pi terminal to get everything working.

The following steps I have taken so far are:

1. Updated raspberry pi OS to latest release of Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) using commands
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade

2. Installed rclone

3. Created credentials and successfully mounted a Google drive

I have attached a screen shot of the successfully mounted google drive as seen using the Raspberry Pi. The name I gave the mount is GoogleDrive. I believe it is located under $HOME/mnt on the Raspberry Pi

1. Enabled Samba network folder sharing of folder that contains the mounted Google drive sharing

I also have webmin installed on the Raspberry Pi if I need to use it for more complicated Samba share settings

I cannot view the contents of the share mnt folder when trying to access from a windows computer

However, I am able to access other shared folders on the Raspberry Pi using a windows computer, so I know the Samba share is working.

1. I tried running the following command to see if the files would show up when accessing using Windows computer but this has not worked either.
rclone mount GoogleDrive: /home/pi/mnt/GoogleDrive --vfs-cache-mode writes --daemon --allow-other --allow-root

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.66.0

• os/version: raspbian 10.13
  • os/kernel: 5.10.103-v7+ (armv7l)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: arm (ARMv7 compatible)
  • go/version: go1.22.1
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount GoogleDrive: /home/pi/mnt/GoogleDrive --vfs-cache-mode writes --daemon --allow-other --allow-root

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

[GoogleDrive]
type = drive
client_id = XXX
client_secret = XXX
scope = drive
token = XXX
team_drive =
### Double check the config for sensitive info before posting publicly

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

2024/04/29 20:49:27 ERROR : Daemon timed out. Failed to terminate daemon pid 1510: os: process already finished
2024/04/29 20:49:27 Fatal error: daemon exited with error code 1

welcome to the forum,

i have shared rclone mountpoints over samba.
it should work for you.
so need more basic info...

for testing, try running rclone without --daemon
use a debug log file
--log-level=DEBUG --log-file=/path/to/rclone.log

can you share the samba section for the net share from smb.conf ?

i used to use webmin, as in https://forum.rclone.org/t/solved-is-it-possible-to-access-my-rclone-mount-as-a-samba-share/18335/14?u=asdffdsa
but now, i just edit smb.conf

on windows, how are you creating the net share.
using windows explorer, net share on cmd, or what?
what is the exact error you are getting?

Hi and thank you for you reply. Here are some replies for you questions

can you share the samba section for the net share from smb.conf ?

[PiShare]
 comment=Raspberry Pi Share
 path=/home/pi/Music
 browseable=Yes
 writeable=Yes
 only guest=no
 create mask=0777
 directory mask=0777
 public=no

[GoogleDrive Share]
        sync always = yes
        path = /mnt
        writeable = yes

on windows, how are you creating the net share.
using windows explorer, net share on cmd, or what?
what is the exact error you are getting?

I am just using Windows Explorer.

I have attached a screenshot. As you can see, I cannot view the contents of the share mnt folder when trying to access from a windows computer

the samba share is mounted, that is correct?

Yes the samba share is mounted. The raspberry pi has rclone, and I used rclone to mount the google drive. then I enabled samba sharing on that mount so that different windows computers can try to access the mount on that raspberry pi over the network.

As a side note, I am able to access other shared folders on the Raspberry Pi over my network using the windows explorer windows computer.

great. everything seems to be working fine, no errors.

the rclone mountpoint is /home/pi/mnt/GoogleDrive
so you need samba to share that exact dir

something like

[sharename]
path=/home/pi/mnt/GoogleDrive

Hi. Ok I tried what you suggested and updated the following to the smb.conf

[GoogleDrive Share]
        sync always = yes
        path = /home/pi/mnt/GoogleDrive
        writeable = yes

I tried accessing the share using windows explorer but now I get the following message

I am not sure what to do now.

ok, good.

need to click details and post that including the error number.

not sure.

imho, fwiw, as a long-time windowz user trying to work on linux, i learned the hard way.
never use space characters for names and/or paths, always use one case, lower or upper.
so, could change [GoogleDrive Share] to [google_drive]

Yeah thanks for the tip. I have zero experience with Linux haha. Just trying my best to inform myself.

I changed the name as you suggested and still got same error. But now clicked to get details and got error code 0x80070035

I'm going to have to figure out what causes that code.

most likely, windows cannot find the server or else the share.
try using ipaddress instead.

have you seen my howto?
https://forum.rclone.org/t/how-to-access-smb-samba-with-rclone/42754/2

I tried the following

Still no success.

I think I ran into your guide while researching my problem. I will try to follow it. Maybe I might add a new mount of the google drive but rename it to all lower
case letters (googledrive instead of GoogleDrive).

Thanks for all the suggestions you have given so far.

good, seems that net use worked.
it found the server, it found the share.

try net use on one of those shared folders.
will ensure the username and password are correct.

I did. The usename and password works for the other shared folders the raspberry pi.

I tried remaking a new mount called gdrive instead of GoogleDrive and tried a Samba share over the network. That didn't work as well unfortunately. Still get the same error.

can you post the top thirty lines from the rclone debug log.

this is an working samba config.

[zork]
    path = /rclone/mount/zork
    valid users = @agent_en10
    writable = yes

this is the rclone command
sudo -u user01 -g agent_en10 rclone mount ....

this is the net use command, running over tailscale.

net use \\100.73.41.101\zork /user:agent_en10 redacted
The command completed successfully.

I finally got it to work!

So what I did so far was correct. The missing part of the solution was spelled out in the following forum thread:

Solved Is it possible to access my Rclone mount as a Samba share? - Help and Support - rclone forum

When I mounted the drive, I had to add the flag --allow-other

So the mount command I used is

rclone mount gdrive: $HOME/mnt/gdrive --allow-other

When I initially tried the command with the --allow-other flag it gave me an error stating the flag has to be in the fuse.conf file as well.

So I had to add user_allow_other to the fuse.conf file in Raspbian OS. I had google Gemini give me instructions on how to do that.

I also tried to add the flag --allow-root to the mount command but I got an error stating it is not permitted anymore.

Thanks for all your help asdffdsa! I really appreciate it!

good that all is working now.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.