UHD streaming very slow to start

So I wanted to see if i can get some recommendations to speed up loading times and help with buffering on my setup.

I currently have my rclone.conf set up as such. My gdrive is mounted as two folders so i can control buffering on higher bitrate content. Though i'm really new to all this so i'm not sure what the best option is. I'd love some guideance. currenty anything 4k will play but it takes forever to start playing at least 90-180 seconds, Once it plays it mostly plays ok some buffering which is annoying but not all the time. I have a 400Mb/40Mb connection at home. I'm running off a decent lenovo laptop running on The latest Ubuntu. As i said i'm very new to this and even newer to Ubuntu.

[gdrive4k]
type = drive
client_id =
client_secret =
token =
root_folder_id =

[gdrivetvm]
type = drive
client_id =
client_secret =
scope = drive
root_folder_id =
token =

These are the settings i currenlty use for each type of content.

rclone mount gdrive4k: ~/Videos/Plex/ --allow-other --dir-cache-time 72h --fast-list --vfs-read-chunk-size 24M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 500M --buffer-size 1G --log-level INFO &

rclone mount gdrivetvm: ~/Videos/Plex2/ --allow-other --dir-cache-time 72h --fast-list --vfs-read-chunk-size 24M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 500M --buffer-size 128M --log-level INFO &

Any guideance would be very helpful. I really would love to know the best setup. if it makes sense to set up a cache or to direct mount gdrive. You guys are incredibly helpful with my learning i really appreciate it.

Is there a reason you made the chunk size small and limited the top of it rather than just using the defaults? fast-list does do anything on a mount.

if you change the log to DEBUG and play something and share that log, we can use that to debug it.

Honestly, no specific reason. As i said i'm new to it lol. I'm kinda just piecing it together from stuff i find on the forums and different sites. Do you have a recommendation for those settings? I'll pull logs and get them posted.

Setup your own API key/client ID if you haven't:

https://rclone.org/drive/#making-your-own-client-id

I run a very default heavy command as I use a keep it simple approach to my settings:

/usr/bin/rclone mount gcrypt: /GD --allow-other --buffer-size 1G --dir-cache-time 96h --log-level INFO --log-file /opt/rclone/logs/rclone.log --timeout 1h

By mindful though my setup is 1GB of memory per file opened as I have a lot of spare memory. You can start with removing the buffer-size and leaving that at the default value.

Make sure you are on the latest version as well.

Thank you so much. I'll do some more testing and pull logs. I really appreciate all your help.
This community is really great.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.