Ubuntu unattended upgrade actually downgraded rclone

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I had installed rclone version 1.53.3-4ubuntu1 on ubuntu 22.04 using apt 2 months ago. But it was pretty old version so I used the rclone install script i.e sudo -v ; curl https://rclone.org/install.sh | sudo bash, which installed the latest version over the ubuntu repo version
On 03 Feb 2023(according to /usr/share/doc/rclone/changelog.Debian.gz) rclone version 1.53.3-4ubuntu1.22.04.1 was released and unattended upgrade "updated" rclone to this version on 17th feb. It was actually a downgrade because now I can no longer use mega backend (which was the reason I used rclone install script), and my backup scripts were failing.
After checking apt logs here is what I got

Start-Date: 2023-02-17  02:03:15
Commandline: /usr/bin/unattended-upgrades
Upgrade: rclone:arm64 (1.53.3-4ubuntu1, 1.53.3-4ubuntu1.22.04.1)
End-Date: 2023-02-17  02:03:15

So it seems that ubuntu still thinks that I have 1.53.3-4ubuntu1 version installed even after running the rclone install script, and actually downgraded my rclone.
What caused it? Did the rclone install script not inform apt of the rclone upgrade. How can I dig into this further?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone version
rclone v1.53.3-DEV
- os/arch: linux/arm64
- go version: go1.18.1

Which cloud storage system are you using?

Mega

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

# rclone copy /root/scripts mega:
2023/02/18 04:06:59 Failed to create file system for "mega:": didn't find section in config file

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[mega]
type = mega
user = <redacted>@gmail.com
pass = <redacted>

hi, cannot use apt on ubuntu as it uses very old version of rclone.

at this point, what is the output of rclone version?

You really don't want to use a package manager as these repos are not sponsored nor maintained by rclone.

You got a new package as someone decided to update a very old version.

Best to remove the apt installed version and just install this way:

That's basically exactly how apt is expected to work.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.