Trying to locate an inititial setup guide for Windows users

rclone mount set --cache-dir=some.folder.on.your.computer GMedia:/ k:

Like this?

no, you have to tell rclone where you want the cache dir to be located.

1 Like
rclone mount --cache-dir=M:\rclonecache secret:/ k:

try it and see what happens and add -vv so you can understand.

1 Like

set is not a command, remove it

1 Like

Okay it started

ERROR : Path/ToFile/filename.mp4: WriteFileHandle: Truncate: Can't change size without --vfs-cache-mode >= writes

use --vfs-cache-mode=full

you can read about it here
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/

1 Like

For those following along the full command I ran was rclone mount --cache-dir=M:\rclonecache --vfs-cache-mode=full secret:/ k:

Well it seems magically the command won't run anymore. It just sits there.

Is there a reason why you have a slash after "secret:"? I would remove that and add a -v so you can see error messages:

rclone mount --cache-dir=M:\rclonecache --vfs-cache-mode=full -v secret: K:

This post of mine should also be helpful (updated with current settings):

"I've been using Windows to host Plex and the Gdrive mount on a dedicated server for more than three years now, with almost no issues at all. The few times I had a problem watching at home was due to my ISP's peering with Google at the time. My dedicated server has gig speed up and down, but my home connection is 500/500. I can watch even the largest 4K remuxes without buffering.

Make sure you have installed WinFsp before you try to use a mount with Rclone. You can get WinFsp here: https://github.com/billziss-gh/winfsp/releases

I suggest you try my mount settings. Note that this is a read-only mount. Create a .bat file with the following (replace my path and drive name with your own, of course):

@echo off
title Rclone Mount READ ONLY
D:\Programs\Rclone\rclone mount --attr-timeout 1000h --dir-cache-time 1000h --no-checksum --poll-interval 0 --rc --read-only -v Google_Drive_Crypt: G:
pause

Then create another batch file with this (replacing my path again):

@echo off
title Rclone Prime
D:\Programs\Rclone\rclone rc vfs/refresh recursive=true -v --timeout 30m
pause

Run this after you mount the drive to "prime" it. This will basically cache the file and folder structure for much, much faster reading afterwards, and it does so very quickly. You'll want to re-run this whenever you make changes to your mount.

To give you an idea of how I use all this: I download stuff overnight, organize everything and then use RcloneBrowser by @kapitainsky to upload everything to Gdrive. I do not upload via mount, ever, hence the read-only. Once uploaded, I use a separate read/write mount to move things around in Gdrive. For this, I use this very simple command via batch file (notice the different drive letter):

@echo off
title Rclone Mount READ/WRITE
D:\Programs\Rclone\rclone mount -v Google_Drive_Crypt: F:
pause

When I'm done putting things into their final locations, I stop the read/write mount via CTRL+C. Then I run the "prime" batch to update the read-only mount. Once that's done, I run the Plex scan.

As you can see, I like doing things manually and being in full control at all times :wink:

Note that my solution does not use any cache. My Internet speeds on both the server side and at home do not require things to be cached. Media starts playing after about 3-5 seconds.

DISCLAIMER: I do not and have never used team drives or service accounts. I run the refresh/prime once or twice a day max. Plex scans once a day."

1 Like

WOW! Thank you so much for the reply. I will try this when I have time tomorrow. You wouldn't happen to know what would cause this would you? I am trying to transfer files and am getting this error.

nvm for some reason my cache went back to my c drive and I am out of space....

hi,
you would need to post the current command you are using.

I figured it out.

if free space is a problem, note that @VBB command does not use vfs.

i used to run my mount the same way, but recently, my remote is hosted on a shared vps and i use a sometimes flakly vpn to reach it. tho i still mount read-only.

So I checked out the link for the rclone config file but I am not clear on how to back them up.

hi,

not sure what you mean?

you are trying to backup the config file?
it is just a file, and you would back it up as you would any file.

the same exact file can be used on any platform rclone runs on.
for example, i have the same config file on windows, llnux raspberry pi and android.