Transitioning from WIN10 to LINUX, and want to keep the PLEX mount option

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm trying to figure out how to properly use the --vfs-cache and --vfs-mount commands with the rclone mount and cache commands.

Some background: a few months ago, I was using a Windows 10 machine, and using rclone mount to give my PLEX server access to the files. Windows 10 was giving me problems, so I figure I'd try to use Ubuntu. So far, Ubuntu and PLEX (with local files, nothing linked to rclone) works flawlessly. Very stable for the small machine I have.

In my old installation (Windows 10), this was how things worked:

• I had a Google Drive instance linked with rclone.
  • I then used the crypt feature with rclone.
  • I then placed all my media files within the crypt.
  • My computer then saw the crypt volume through rclone cache
  • My PLEX computer only saw the rclone mount as read-only
  • rclone ran as a service on Windows 10 through NSSM
  • Any files that were added/deleted were done from a different (non-PLEX) machine.
  • When the PLEX server was rebooted, everything went back to normal. All mounts re-appeared, no problems.

I would like to have a similar setup with Linux, and I have a feeling that it will be even better through Linux. I do have a limited background in Linux, so it would be great to have a clear walkthrough on how to do this properly.

Goals:

• Use VFS to access my Google Drive crypt files through rclone.
  • Allow this setup to persist across reboots.
  • Read-only access for PLEX.
  • Avoid any API bans that may be triggered by PLEX.
  • Content that will be watched: 1080p, with a bit rate of ~8.0-20.0 Mb/s (potential 4K, but that would be dependent upon internet speed)
  • Space available on PLEX server for rclone to use: ~200GB (max allowed when on PLEX with Win 10)

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)?

rclone v1.53.3
os/arch: linux/amd64
go version: go1.15.5

Which OS you are using and how many bits?

Kernel: 5.4.0-58-generic
CPU: Intel i3-4010U (4) @ 1.700GHz
Memory: 4GB
Main Drive: 1TB (~200GB will be used for rclone+PLEX)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive, with files stored in a crypt mount.

I'm currently moving/sorting my files from one crypt mount to another, so all this will happen on a completely fresh rclone install. Therefore, I'd be giving new API keys, OAuth keys, etc... to the fresh rclone install. I'll make sure to clarify everything I can in this thread, and (if possible) cross-post this info to the rclone github wiki for others to view/share/edit.

Please help!

hello and welcome to the forum,

it should be easy to switch from win to lin.

whatever rclone mount you ran on windows, should work on linux, just change the paths.
you can copy the rclone config file from windows to lnux, no changes needed.

it would be helpful to post

• current rclone mount command
  • config file, redact secrets.

definitely, you want to read this website, the go to guide for rclone+plex on linux.
from our very own Animosity022
https://github.com/animosity22/homescripts

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.