Thumbnail Seek Preview in Video Player

I have an encrypted Google Drive being fuse mounted. I am playing mkv files from the mount. I am using an application named exmplayer to play videos. Exmplayer has a feature where you can hover your pointer over the seekbar of the video and it will display a thumbnail preview of that position (like how Youtube does). If I play locally, that thumbnail is generated immediately. However, when playing from the fuse mount, the preview thumbnail can take 15 to 30 seconds to display. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this appear faster? Any tweaks that can be done? Thanks!

Youtube transcodes all videos, and while doing that they generate an image for every X seconds.

What exmplayer does is seeks through the entire file, find the right time, generate an image.

This is going to take time since your iops and bw is rather shit (compared to your SATA3 local disk).

There probably isn’t much you can do, unless you move from mounting to actually storing files locally and sync to the cloud.

EDIT: This might not be 100% accurate, but it’s what you need to know about how it pretty much works, and why it takes time. My SSD can do a few 100 MB/s, you probably don’t do more then a few 100Mb/s at most, (1B = 8b).