The size of files to be transferred is larger than the real size of the folder and hdd

Hello,

The issue I am having with the rclone is that I am trying to copy a folder from my linux backup server to Google Drive, my folder is 1.5TB large and the volume is 1.6TB, however when I run rclone copy with --check-first it shows that 5.3TBs has to be transferred. How is this possible?

I am using tool called UrBackup to make backups of various systems, it creates a ton of symlinks, I was wondering if that somehow affects the projected size. I am using encrypted remote to backup to Google Drive.

rclone v1.55.1
Google Drive

rclone --check-first --checkers=4 --transfers=2 copy -P /home/backup/ crypt_remote:/

hello and welcome to the forum,

not an expert with synlinks but as far as i know:
rclone, by default, does not follow symlinks.

no way to know what is going on without a debug log which would show errors, retries and something like
NOTICE: test: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links

Hi, thanks!

Yes, I am running rclone in verbose and getting Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links, however, I am not worried about not following the symlinks, my biggest concern is the transfer size of the files that is larger that the hard drive itself.

without seeing the debug log, just guessing....

are you getting any errors in the log, is rclone retrying to upload a file?

what is the result of running the command using --dry-run?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.