Testing for new vfs cache mode features

Are you on Windows? If so try the beta in the post above

1 Like

Yes!

It writes each chunk to the disk then reads it back from the disk, however it should be in the OS cache at that point so be effectively instant. This could potentially be optimized further...

Let me know if it is a big problem - I don't think it should be.

Ah, you need --buffer-size to be set for the cache to be effective. I need to warn the user about this. I recommend the default of 16M to start with

Frequent files should get buffered by your OS so provided your working set < your RAM you should be OK. If your working set > your RAM and you are using HDD then nothing will save you except for SSDs!

No more error with this beta, thx : )

2 Likes

Hi,

that version fixed my problem.

Great work, many thanks.

Great and thank you for testing :slight_smile:

Here is the latest beta

https://beta.rclone.org/branch/v1.52.1-067-g0f0e2476-vfs-beta/ (uploaded in 15-30 mins)

I've been filling out the unit tests so I found a few small corner case bugs

- Fix Truncate on unopened file
- Fix bug when downloading segments to fill out file on close
- Fix bug when WriteAt extends the file and we don't mark space as used

I've got one more set of unit tests to write then I'll be thinking about merging this branch into the mainline beta.

2 Likes

Windows Build failed?

The new tests didn't work on Windows here is a new set building away!

https://beta.rclone.org/branch/v1.52.1-068-ge02475b2-vfs-beta/ (uploaded in 15-30 mins)

Version works good on Windows, no issues.

I think i will switch 1.51 to this beta and remove cache backend

Great!

:slight_smile:

An upcoming change may invalidate all the files in the cache - as long as you are OK with that I'd be interested to know how it turns out.

I've slipped this into all mine for a few days now and am using mode=full with no noticeable differences except for faster display of cached items. Its working well for me at least.

1 Like

Good news! I think this is nearly ready for merging :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

@ncw: re eviction policy, it might make sense to just use the chunker that already exists and treat the cache as a chunked backend that can be written to and evicted from and be able to evict chunks.

2 Likes

About --vfs-cache-mode full, if i watch entire a video file and the free space < total size of the video file (let's say i have 20 GB free spaces and watch a 40 GB video), what will it do since there's only 1 sparse file in cache dir that keep growing? Does --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit help with limit the total size of a sparse file?

I've been trying the latest beta out today in writes mode, as the drawbacks of full mode's caching (mainly not being able to keep chunks of a file, only the whole file or nothing) don't seem worth it to me at the moment.

Read operations seem to all be working great, faster than with a cache remote in the mix like I had before. I have run in to an issue writing/uploading files though. I dropped in 3 files in quick succession, and the first two uploaded correctly, but the third threw an error, and then the mount seemed to hang (or at least any process trying to access that file/directory was non responsive). I aborted the FUSE connection, restarted the mount, and the file uploaded and everything seems happy now.

Unfortunately I didn't have debug logging on at the time, but here's what I got at the INFO level. This is a Google Drive remote with a crypt layer on top, which is exclusively accessed via this mount (hence the long timeouts/cache/checks) with the following mount options:

--allow-other \                                                                                                                                                                                                              
  --umask 002 \                                                                                                                                                                                                                
  --transfers 6 \                                                                                                                                                                                                              
  --dir-cache-time 48h \                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  --poll-interval 24h \                                                                                                                                                                                                        
  --vfs-cache-mode writes \                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  --vfs-cache-max-age 24h \                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  --vfs-cache-max-size 10G \                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  --attr-timeout 0 \                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  --rc \
  --use-mmap \
  --log-level INFO \
  --gid 1001 \
  --uid 1000 \
  --fast-list \
  --drive-skip-gdocs \
  --drive-use-trash=false \
  --drive-disable-http2=false

Of course, there are some other things in here possibly affecting things. I've got attr-timeout down to 0 after the fix in https://github.com/rclone/rclone/issues/4104, and I've also re-enabled http2 for Google Drive. Neither of these options seemed to cause any issues with the cache remote for the last few weeks.

Okay, finally, the one log message I got about this:

2020/06/14 17:57:58 ERROR : REDACTED.mp4: Failed to copy: Post "https://www.googleapis.com/upload/drive/v3/files?alt=json&fields=id%2Cname%2Csize%2Cmd5Checksum%2Ctrashed%2CmodifiedTime%2CcreatedTime%2CmimeType%2Cparents%2CwebViewLink%2CshortcutDetails&supportsAllDrives=true&uploadType=resumable&upload_id=AAANsUn0YL2KoZR5_fU1GKqvfTBF7pD_Ck2B_YUAqp3kj78cO-dFOHpPAX05UOgTaApuHzqqbwCTjfKRZJuzuPXSrWA": context canceled

Any thoughts?

While the file is in use it isn't eligible for deletion even if your cache is over quota. When it is closed it is, so in this case the file would be deleted at the next cache clearing run.

Potentially rclone could delete an in use file and it would immediately be recreated empty. That might be something to consider doing later. So if the cache went over quota it would drop the whole file.

1 Like

I'm glad it uploaded on restart :smiley: That is a new feature!

Upload aborted because the context was cancelled is either a bug or fallout from a previous problem. Did you maybe modify the file, wait more than 5 seconds so it started uploading then open it and modify it again? That would cause the upload to be aborted. It should have been retried though

If you can cause the problem again with debugging that would be great. If the mount locks up then kill -QUIT it to get a full trace - it will be apparent why it locked up from that.

The file was post-processed, moved to the mount, and then Plex would have started scanning it immediately. I don't believe there would have been another write operation in there, but I can't be sure.

I actually did just cause this again with processing just a single file, so there does seem to be something strange happening here with this config. I'm going to try this with a test mount with debug logging on, but won't be able to do it right now. I'll report back with full debug logs in a few hours hopefully.

I thought it downloaded chunks as needed into the sparse file.

Success! So I replicated this by immediately attempting to read the file I just copied into the mount (in this case by just reading the file with ffmpeg, similar to what Plex would do), which seems to trigger a change in the file modification time, which cancels the upload and then seems to try and open the file read-only, but that's where things then hang.

Log file is here https://gist.githubusercontent.com/dotsam/33a8be8947643704daf2223e61ca7fb7/raw/1bff09a2a5b089a66d63961927478263c1b789d0/rclone-vfs-debug.log, with the file copy/upload in question starting at 2020/06/14 21:14:39 in the log. The log begins with the upload of a previous invocation of this bug, and also has a much smaller file I tested with, but was unable to trigger as the upload happened too quickly. It seems like I only hit this bug when the file is modified while uploading? I did a few reads of the file before the upload began, and those worked fine.