Sync to local SMB network share

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Would like to sync to a local SMB network share (eg //192.168.0.x/anyshare), with user creds, without having to mount it separately.
(Have searched and can't find anything specific...)

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.49.5

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.12.10

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Opensuse Leap 15.1 x64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive / Box / Dropbox

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

??

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

??

I'm not sure I see the problem/question ...
What would be the issue with simply using the normal sync command?
ie.
rclone sync /home/somefolder //192.168.0.x/anyshare/backup

Or is the question here really about how to handle the access-permissions for rclone in good way?

Yes, you are right, as I said it is more about getting permissions in to connect to the share..
Thanks.

Then the solution is usually to run rclone via a user-account that has permissions already, such as your own for example - assuming you have access.
or
add new permissions for whatever user-account you want rclone to run under. For example if you run rclone under SYSTEM then it would need access creds on the share.

rclone will inherit permissions the user has, so this is how you grant it access.
On some OS you may have to "save" the login for the share though as rclone obviously can't type it in. This can vary a bit depending on the OS, but I can not say much about opensuse... basically if you are used to being prompted to type in credentials when you access a share that is what I am referring to, and you need to shortcut this if it applies to your system.

All this stuff is handled in the OS and isn't really related to rclone itself.

Since you are on opensuse I suspect you know how to run programs as a certain user account?
If you want/can add a second set of creds for rclone to use specifically then you set that in the share config.

Does that get you on the right track?

Hope so! :slight_smile:
Will have a bit of a play and see how I go....
Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.