Symlinks in local

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I don't remeber how use rclone with local folders (from PC to USB). I know that I must use something like:

rclone sync link:/mnt/my-path nolink:/media/my-path/ --modify-window 2s -v

But I get this error message:

Failed to create file system for "link:/my-path": didn't find section in config file

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.50.2

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.13.4

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Linux (KDE Neon)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

local (USB)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

#### The rclone config contents with secrets removed.  
<!--  You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable.   -->

[mega]
type = mega
user = web@culturanuova.net
pass = ...

[scheda-like]
type = local

#### A log from the command with the `-vv` flag  
<!-- You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable.  Or use a service such as https://pastebin.com or https://gist.github.com/   -->

2020/06/19 21:36:23 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.50.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "sync" "link:/mnt/zippati/ebooks/ebooks" "nolink:/media/duns/likebook/ebooks/" "--modify-window" "2s" "-vv"]
2020/06/19 21:36:23 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/duns/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2020/06/19 21:36:23 Failed to create file system for "link:/mnt/zippati/ebooks/ebooks": didn't find section in config file

you posted your config and there is no remote named link
run rclone listremotes to get list of remotes.

for local to local copy, no remotes are needed, so this should work
rclone sync /mnt/my-path /media/my-path/

you should update rclone.

-L, --copy-links  Follow symlinks and copy the pointed to item.
-l, --links  Translate symlinks to/from regular files with a '.rclonelink' extension

you're using sync. test with --dry-run

The problem is that I need a script to reverse as well from USB to PC with symlinks. So, someone suggested me what I should do, but now I don't remember all the steps.
I think that I have to add in rclone.conf [link] and [nolink], but following by what?
I'd like to have

• when copying from PC (linux) tu USB (fat32) convert symlinks to .rclonelink
  • when copying from USB (fat32) to PC (linux=ext4) convert .rclonelink to symlinks

here the solution:

in rclone.conf

[link]
type = local
links = true

[nolink]
type = local

command

Glad that works for you. To be honest for a local sync rsync is a better tool as it is designed FOR that specifically. It handles ownership, permissions, acls etc.

But can rsync handle symlinks as rclone does?

rsync can definitely do that.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.