Subtitle extraction

My issue is that I use jellyfin which can be seriously tough for a lot of reasons, and i'd like to use the optimal setup for loading videos that burn subtitles faster.

I'm curious if there is some configuration i could set up that would allow for jellyfin to extract subtitles faster or start videos faster that are set to burn subtitles
I remember someone recommended a certain setup for me when i wanted to make music start faster. sort of like a smaller chunk size or something way back in the day.

rclone v1.58.1
- os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 5.4.0-110-generic (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.17.9
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none
[Unit]
Description=cloud
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=notify
KillMode=none
Environment=RCLONE_CONFIG=/opt/rclone/rclone.conf
RestartSec=5
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount cloud: /mnt/cloud \
        --allow-other \
        --allow-non-empty \
        --default-permissions \
        --uid 1000 \
        --gid 1000 \
        --dir-perms 777 \
        --file-perms 666 \
        --umask 002 \
        --log-file /opt/rclone/logs/rclone.log \
        --log-level INFO \
        --include /media/** \
        --dir-cache-time 5000h \
        --drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms \
        --drive-pacer-burst 200 \
        --poll-interval 30s \
        --rc \
        --user-agent rclone \
        --rc-addr 127.0.0.1:5572 \
        --cache-dir=/data/.cache/cloud \
        --drive-chunk-size 32M \
        --vfs-cache-mode full \
        --vfs-cache-max-size 350G \
        --vfs-cache-max-age 15m \
        --vfs-cache-poll-interval 5m \
        --vfs-read-ahead 2G \
        --vfs-read-chunk-size 32M \
        --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off \
        --bwlimit 8650k:off \
        --transfers 3 \
        --bwlimit-file 20M
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /mnt/cloud
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/rclone rc vfs/refresh recursive=true --rc-addr 127.0.0.1:5572 _async=true
Restart=on-failure
User=user
Group=user

Bumping allowed?

You'd have to pick one scenario and try to tune for it.

What does subtitle extraction do? Read the whole file?

I never got anything to start faster with tweaking things these days.

You have a very complex mount command now so try to remove everything, get a baseline, make changes based on what you can share in the logs.

Yes I believe it essentially reads the entire file. I think rather than extraction I mean burning subtitles in because extraction on Jellyfin is fast but burning which reads the entire file I believe is slow

I'd use:

morpheus65535/bazarr: Bazarr is a companion application to Sonarr and Radarr. It manages and downloads subtitles based on your requirements. You define your preferences by TV show or movie and Bazarr takes care of everything for you. (github.com)

For subtitles and never touch the files. Downloading is generally single threaded when streaming so you are limited to that. Not sure that is a way to make it any faster without seeing a specific log file, but not sure there would be much to tweak anyway as it would be minor stuff.

What's slow? It takes x and I think it should be y.

I do use bazarr, yes

Is that the issue? That looks like you are trying mux in subtitles and not extract them from a file. Is that the part that is slow? What's the server as that's more a CPU issue on the server rather than rclone generally.

Yes extraction is fast but burning in subtitles is slow

Sorry as I want to make sure I understand the workflow as I mentioned Bazarr earlier.

Bazarr downloads external subtitles so you don't have to extract them. You should have *.srt files (I have them alongside my media items).

To burn in .srt files, it's low CPU, has zero to do with rclone. If you are using other subtitles, depending on what you are trying to burn in or what type they are, that can be problematic depending on the device playing it, but also, nothing to do with rclone.

I use Bazarr/external subtitles to deal with players that have issues with playing certain formats that are usually embedded as that can cause problems with higher bitrate/resolution items as it's a strain on the CPU. Plex will use the external ones over the embedded. Not sure on Jellyfin/Emby.

should i do lscpu and set the number of cpus i have under Transcoding thread count: and set Encoding preset to ultra fast, turn iff Throttle Transcodes and do into my docker-compose for jellyfin and do

deploy:
      resources:
        limits:
          cpus: '1.0'
          memory: 64G

Is 1.0 telling docker to just use my full cpu if it wants?

See:

Runtime options with Memory, CPUs, and GPUs | Docker Documentation

It seems the default value for cpus and memory in docker is no limit and using all your cores, so that isn't the issue. i suppose it's gonna have to be a jellyfin setting itself that needs to change. with that said, i've changed Transcoding thread count to match my number of cores and set Encoding preset to ultra fast. There has been no change as far as how long it takes to burn subtitles in. I'm actually reluctant to agree that it's a hardware and/or hardware settings thing because if i force my rclone mount/cache to download the entire file then play the movie burning subtitles it plays just fine.

I didn't say it your issue wasn't rclone. I was sharing the workflows I described above as not being rclone related. I have no idea why you'd use Bazarr and extract subtitles at all. If you are extracting a subtitle from a container, it has to download the whole file to extract. That does impact rclone. Nothing can fix that as it takes how long it takes to download a full file.

I'm saying your workflow is off if you are using Bazarr.

I mean sure i do use bazarr and it's about half way through downloading my 200tbs of shows/movies, but i see that as a workaround.
What i am confused about is jellyfin ios-expo seems to be direct playing and so is swiftfin and infuse and they dont struggle at all with any subtitle configuration.

Sorry as I don’t use Jellyfin at all so I am not sure how the players work. I only know what I’ve used with Plex and how they operate as each client is unique in what subtitles it supports.

You can always get a beefy server to handle the transcode for the burn in but I rather use Bazarr. I use a Shield which has no issues with any of the formats and Infuse as you noted, does well on the ATV.

Oh plex is fine. Subtitles and playback are flawless and always have been flawless and immediate on plex.

i'm trying to replace all my .ass and .pgg subtitles using bazarr as we speak. i can't seem to find the settings that tell it to look for videos with .ass and .pgg and add .srt for it

In Bazarr? I only use this bottom box off to ignore any embedded item:

Plex will take the external ones as a higher priority. I'm not sure on the other products.

thanks i appreciate it

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.