Strange problem with some directories not being created

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

When I create a folder, either via rclone sync or rclone mkdir or via the program rclone-browser, it is not appearing on the remove - as verified both by rclone-browser and (so far as I can tell; I have encryption) via the web interface of my cloud provider (that provider being 'b2').

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Linux Mint 19.3

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

b2

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

# See above, but for example:
rclone mkdir enc-b2:X230/test

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[b2]
type = b2
account = 59054b966b7a
hard_delete = true

[enc-b2]
type = crypt
remote = b2:x1-everything
filename_encryption = standard
password = [something]
password2 = [something]

A log from the command with the -vv flag

$ rclone -vv mkdir enc-b2:X230/test
2020/07/04 13:07:04 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.52.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "mkdir" "enc-b2:X230/test"]
2020/07/04 13:07:04 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/<myUserName>/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2020/07/04 13:07:07 DEBUG : Encrypted drive 'enc-b2:X230/test': Making directory
2020/07/04 13:07:07 DEBUG : 6 go routines active

I have various backup scripts that I wrote, which use rclone, and they (still) manage to create and populate folders at certain locations in my remote's hierarchy but not at other locations.

Does this seem like a problem with the remote i.e. with my cloud provider? Or with rclone? I upgraded rclone fairly recently.

EDIT: some further information. Directories that I add, via the b2 web interface, and thus to the non-encrypted version of the remote, do appear in the web interface but do not appear in rclone-browser. That makes me think that somehow the relation, at the rclone level, between the encrypted remote and the remote has gone wrong. Yet, when I run some - not all - of my normal backup scripts, then everything works.

B2 can't create empty directories is the problem here I think.

It is a key value store so it doesn't actually create directories only files.

Some tools (maybe the B2 web interface) create 0 length files as directory markers. Rclone doesn't do this yet because it uses more transactions and is very rarely needed.

Can you create a single file in the directory rather than leaving it empty?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.