SSH vs WEBDAV for streaming

Hello,
I am using rclone mount to share a remote drive to use with Emby. Everything works fine but I would like more details to have better performance or get the best from rclone.
What is better to use for streaming purposes?
WebDAV or SSH mount ?
Are there specific flags I should use to better use (not waste) my internet connection?
Right now I am using cache but I can see the folder are created but are always empty. When I was using it with gdrive it was creating a “database” with list of the files.
Thank you

hi,
i do that same thing, on a cheap seedbox
--- rclone mount using sftp/webdav as the source
--- emby

when you posted, there was a template of questions.
help us to help you and provide the answers.

The answer to "which is better" will almost always depend on too many factors to know and should be answered with: Test it and let us know!

On my VPS, I find that SFTP is a good bit slower to list files than WebDAV but WebDAV doesn't properly support ModTime. So I tend to use SFTP for syncing and WebDAV for streaming or other read-only. (Though even that is minimal). I recently got a Hetzner storage box and I am playing around still.

hey, me too.
over the weekend, i setup a couple of cheap hetzner vm running rclone mount and emby/jellyfin.
and i got the cheapest storage box.

just within the hour, on one of the vm, i setup a crypt remote on the storage box.
and right now, streaming from that jellyfin server, poining to that crypted remote on that storage box

sftp works well, supports md5sum.
so far, my webdav remote to the storage box is not working
and cannot figure out what the correct vendor is.

with hetzner, for storage-share, they advertise nextcloud, which should support checksums.
cannot find out if storagebox also uses nextcloud

maybe i should start a new topic and not hijack this one

Hello,

Thanks for the answers.

My question is because I recently purchased the 5T box from Hetzner and I am mounting it on my raspberry pi to stream content with emby.

Hetzner allows several types of protocols so I wanted to know which one of them was the best for streaming.

All of them so far are working well.

At the moment I am syncing my NAS library but in future I would like to only have the Pi as server and all my library on the Hetzner box only.

I used a dedicated server from them with GDRIVE for years but recently they changed policy and lost all my data.

i have a pi4 and a bunch of pizero including the new pizero2 model.
rclone mount + emby/jellyfin runs great on them

Yes, I agree, no problem on the Pi 4 with emby running on docker.

Rclone is doing a great job to sync the storage box with my NAS and VPS.

At the moment I am using a mount relying on SSH.

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount wikibox1:/ /mnt/library \
        --config=/root/.config/rclone/rclone.conf \
        --allow-other \
        --vfs-cache-mode writes \
        --cache-chunk-path=/mnt/embycache/chunks \
        --cache-workers=8 \
        --cache-writes \
        --cache-dir=/mnt/embycache/vfs \
        --cache-db-path=/mnt/embycache/db \
        --no-modtime \
        --stats=0 \
        --checkers=16 \
        --dir-cache-time=60m \
	--cache-info-age=60m \
        --log-file=/mnt/embycache/rcloneLog.txt \
        --log-level INFO
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -u /mnt/library
Restart=always
RestartSec=10

Here how I am mounting it

wow, that is an out of date config.
--- the cache remote has been deprecated, replaced with vfs cache mode
--- as far as i know, --checkers does nothing on a mount
--- what version of rclone are you running?

have anyone got webdav working with the storagebox

rclone.exe copy D:\files\convert\f hetznersbox01_webdav:/test -vv --retries=1 --low-level-retries=1 
DEBUG : Setting --config "C:\\data\\rclone\\rclone.conf" from environment variable RCLONE_CONFIG="C:\\data\\rclone\\rclone.conf"
DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.58.1" starting with parameters ["C:\\data\\rclone\\rclone.exe" "copy" "D:\\files\\convert\\f" "hetznersbox01_webdav:/test" "-vv" "--retries=1" "--low-level-retries=1"]
DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "D:\\files\\convert\\f"
DEBUG : Using config file from "C:\\data\\rclone\\rclone.conf"
DEBUG : fs cache: renaming cache item "D:\\files\\convert\\f" to be canonical "D:/files/convert/f"
DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "hetznersbox01_webdav:/test"
DEBUG : found headers: 
Failed to create file system for "hetznersbox01_webdav:/test": read metadata failed: Propfind "xxx.your-storagebox.de/test": unsupported protocol scheme ""
[hetznersbox01_webdav]
type = webdav
url = redacted.your-storagebox.de
vendor = other
user = redacted
pass = redacted

RCLONE version is the last, the config is the one I was using for years with drive.

I will look to update it since you said it is old ! thanks

to use the WebDAV you need to add HTTPS:// before the URL:

https://redacted.your-storagebox.de

It is also mentioned in your log: unsupported protocol scheme

duh, thanks

now if hashes would work, so far, i tried
vendor = other
vendor = nextcloud
vendor = owncloud

According to the documentation there is chance for it to work:

Likewise plain WebDAV does not support hashes, however when used with Owncloud or Nextcloud rclone will support SHA1 and MD5 hashes. Depending on the exact version of Owncloud or Nextcloud hashes may appear on all objects, or only on objects which had a hash uploaded with them.

sorry, i should be more clear,

to see if i could get hashes to work,
i ran the same rclone copy command three times.
for each run, changing the vendor and mading sure to upload a new file.

in no cases, did rclone cacluldate/check/display hashes.

I haven’t tried their WebDAV. I’d be surprised if it’s Nextcloud or the like. I suspect it’s Apache or Nginx but that’s a wild guess. Would dumping responses work? Can you get what you need without know the vendor?

righto, it is apache

I hope its ok to wade in here a little late. Im looking to set up hetzner storage box with rclone. Is the way you're syncing just to mount hetzner using rclone and to rsync into that mount from your local storage? Im a little confused here :wink: I have been using rclone and syncrclone with gdrive but its not apparent to me the best protocols to use with hetzner.

syncing and mouning are not the same thing.
rsync, i think you mean rclone

hetzner storagebox is very flexible, i use it with rclone mount, i use it with veeam backup copy jobs, etc...

fwiw, from experience.

• disable all features for root account.
  • use only sub accounts.
  • disable snapshots viewing for each sub account.
  • ssh and sftp, use port 23. support keys

if you have additional questions, best to start a new topic.