SSD vs HDD when using rclone & mergerfs?

I'm currently using rclone to mount my Google Drive content to my seedbox where my PleX server is hosted. I'm also using mergerfs to merger my Google Drive content with my locally stored content until it is transferred to my Google Drive (I'm using the setup provided by @Animosity022). I'm trying to ensure I'm getting the best performance possible with my setup, and I have a general question regarding using an SSD vs a HDD in this setup. I know that SSDs are significantly faster. However, I'm wondering if this speed advantage will still be as significant when my content is being accessed through my rclone and mergerfs setup.

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but are you seeing a performance problem now?

The best performance would be SSD as it's faster.

If you are maxing out spinning disk, you can go that route. If depends on what IO you are pushing on the disk and if needed, you can use SSD. If not, you can use spinning.

hi,

for streaming media and copying files to/from the internet, the slowest link is the internet connection.
i have found no advantage using a ssd for that.
in fact, my home server uses using soft raid 5 with three hdd.
no problem maxing my 1Gbps internet connection.

The only time I see any performance problems is when NZBGet is unpacking something. While that is happening, almost everything else on the seedbox (browsing the webui for -arr apps or playback via Plex) is next to impossible. The reason why I'm asking about SSD vs HDD is because I could get quite a bit more storage space for the same monthly cost if I went with a HDD plan. I originally chose a SSD plan because I wanted the fastest performance (and because the majority of my content is stored on my Google Drive). This was before I started using mergerfs, however. If I could get similar performance from a HDD plan with a lot more storage space, then I may consider switching.

For NZBGet, I always use ionice in my stuff anyway.

/usr/bin/nice -n 5 /usr/bin/ionice -c2 -n5 /usr/bin/unrar

Is my unrar command as that makes it a lower priority.

Just this morning I made some changes to my NZBGet settings to make unrar a lower priority. I used the settings suggested on the unpack settings page, so my command is:

nice -n 19 ${AppDir}/unrar x -ai

I’m not super familiar with the various unrar flags. Would you mind telling me what some of the extra flags/commands you have in your command do? Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out with this. It’s greatly appreciated.

nice is only for CPU.
ionice is for disk IO.

/usr/bin/nice -n 5

make it lower priority for CPU

/usr/bin/ionice -c2 -n5

make it lower priority for disk IO

and that's all I use.

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.