(Solved) Impossible local download from Dropbox

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I had a GDrive storage mount with an associated crypt. I used rclone sync to create an exact copy of it on Dropbox. Now I have both identically encrypted Gdrive and Dropbox mounts. However when I try to mount the crypt Dropbox drive ("crypt-db"), I can see any decrypted files but can't locally play or copy any file. Same with the encrypted files (when I mount "plex-db").

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.58.1

• os/version: darwin 11.5.2 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 20.6.0 (x86_64)
  • os/type: darwin
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.17.9
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Workspace Business
Dropbox Advance (unlimited storage for 3 users / month)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync plex-gcp: plex-dropbox: -P --checkers 12 --log-file /home/user/rclone_gdropbox.log -v --tpslimit 12 --transfers 8 --max-transfer 9500G --drive-chunk-size 32M --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/60.0.3112.113 Safari/537.36"

That was for the sync, below the local mount of the Dropbox crypt:

rclone cmount plex-db: ~/test-dropbox -vv --vfs-cache-mode writes

I tried without the --vfs-cache-mode writes too, same result

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[crypt-gcp]
type = crypt
remote = plex-gcp:/
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = SAMEPASSWORD
password2 = SAMEPASSWORD2

[crypt-db]
type = crypt
remote = plex-db:
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = SAMEPASSWORD
password2 = SAMEPASSWORD2

[plex-gcp]
type = drive
client_id = ******************.apps.googleusercontent.com
client_secret = ************************************
scope = drive
token = {"access_token":"ya29.******************-X8DD-nLGCs71zft0X7CHeEp1TToLX2C4YEg9XUaDjuBUVyRBkWZTuIP-wEiJvunLnAooYVbjMk3sbenmIZmfoQ4AjpMVmjktCTNWmGOO6QHAoe2Qg","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token":"1//******************-L9IrRAotHtzgOhMV6_tLugy97K7-cldwvwfIwqKVrFGZBpKHDoU0BQNT4niAoqpE2AlKQbo","expiry":"2022-05-30T14:24:26.011526+02:00"}
team_drive = 

[plex-db]
type = dropbox
client_id = ******************
client_secret = ******************
token = {"access_token":"sl.******************************************************Bdkf0Z2VnMzJX-07en9hL8RmFKxHtA2eOTxfraoa1PpTooNGSm0IDWfhYzvi","token_type":"bearer","refresh_token":"-******************************************************","expiry":"2022-05-30T18:00:15.010909+02:00"}

The Dropbox app console config contents.

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Sorry, I couldn't post on pastebin since the log is too long.

N.B: Trying to read the file "Mr Robot - Digital currency.mov"

Error message from Finder when I try to copy/read video file

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “Mr Robot - Digital currency.mov” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)

Any help welcome, thanks in advance.

There's no read attempt in the log at all.

Are you running as the same user? Did you try with --allow-other?

EDIT:

I guess I've found "a" solution, may be not the best one.
Basically, I deleted "plex-db" while leaving the "crypt-db" on and deleted the associated app on Dropbox.
Restarted from scratch with rclone config, but this time, on top of adding the URI "http://localhost:53682/", I marked all options in the Permissions tab (all the ones that appear under Account Info). I cleaned my browser's cache and dropbox cookies, got the authorisation window to connect rclone to dropbox, validated it. Then when I tried to cmount "crypt-db" I could finally get access to my decrypted files and read them.

Sorry for the long post, happy to hear your thoughts on it.
LL

It was the same user, tried with --allow-other. Same issue. Found a solution though below. Take care.

There's nothing to indicate in the log. you had any permissions issue on the app registration.

Did you not have that before? You can't get a token if that is wrong and it won't authenticate.

I had, I diligently followed the guide.
And strangely the authentication worked the first time, but I couldn't play nor download any files.
I did what I indicated previously and it seems to have fixed the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.