SMB/CIFS slower than regular fstab mounts

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Hey guys,

just a quick question, is there a reason why SMB/CIFS mounts via rclone should be slower than regular fstab mounts? I was wanting to replace them with rclone mounts but downloading into a share went from 130MB/s to 20MB/s in comparison.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.60.1

• os/version: ubuntu 22.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.15.0-1025-oracle (aarch64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: arm64
  • go/version: go1.19.3
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Hetzner Storage Box

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount -vv --no-modtime  bx-oracle-arm-2:/u123456-sub0 /mnt/bx-oracle-arm-2

I was just wondering if there is a reason for this, not gonna lie, not exactly sure how SMB/CIFS really works. Any help would be appreciated, I'd much rather use Rclone mounts than having to put in my fstab mounts. I also tried using FTP/SFTP with similar results.

I used "wget http://speedtest.belwue.net/1G" to benchmark, both from the rclone and the fstab mount with drastic differences.

Greetings,
Daniel

I think the main reason is that the smb backend is quite new and we've been concentrating on correctness rather than performance so far!

There is probably some low hanging fruit there.

It would be interesting to try rclone copy the 1G file to the smb backend to see what performance that gets.

Also you might want to try --vfs-cache-mode writes which will cache the file locally temporarily.

Hey and thanks for your reply. I already suspected as much. What I am actually trying to accomplish is some sort of portability with the mounts I am using and also trying avoiding the fstab mounts. For some reason I need to install additional packages each time and it’s becoming a pain.

Any advice what to use for the Hetzner Storage Box? I don’t think I’ll be able to use a cache mode seeing as how the boot volume is merely 50GB. Essentially I’d like to keep my 130MB/s downstream while also reading/playing video files. I saw some tests online and SFTP should be outperforming SMB/CIFS anyway, any idea why it’s not? Or was that test result implausible?

Greetings,
Daniel

hi, with storagebox, i use sftp.
i also rent the cheapest or second cheapest vm from hetzner, run emby on that.

Interesting, what kind of speeds are you getting? And you're using SFTP via Rclone?

right now, i am stuck with slowish internet, later on i can test on 1Gbps connection
what exactly are you asking for, so i know what tests to run?

Well do you download into that mounted drive? Because then I'd be interested in knowing what kind of speeds you're getting. Thanks!

no i do not download from sb(storagebox)
tho, later on, i can test
--- from sb to local
--- from sb to my hetzner vm, both of which are in the same location

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.