Slow speed via mount + vfs

Hello :slight_smile:

I have a truenas box and setup smb to share files with my LAN. All Networking is 1Gb.

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

If I copy a file from the nas to my pc with Windows Explorer I get ~900 Mbit/s speed.

Now if I mount the same share with rclone as local drive (Y:) and try to copy the same file I get ~300 Mbit/s.
I tried it with vfs-cache-mode off, the transfer speed increased to ~600 Mbit/s but I need the cache.

I am trying to have my games saved on my nas and "stream" the files to my pc. For that I need a local cache on the pc. Without a cache this will not work unless I upgrade my NAS to SSDs and 10Gb ethernet.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.53.4

• os/arch: windows/amd64
  • go version: go1.15.6

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10 Pro 2004

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount //TRUENAS/Games Y: --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-age 96h --cache-dir "C:\Temp\rclone_cache" --file-perms=0777 --volname Games -v

hello and welcome to the forum,

the c:\, is that ssd or spinning disk?

C: is my 500GB sata SSD.
My nas however has hdd

you have tried, net use Y: \\TRUENAS\Games and that was not working well for streaming/playing the games?

No because some games (Blizzard) don't allow being installed to a Network Share. Also there is no caching with net use.

As I said if I access the SMB share directly I will get ~900 Mbit/s. If I go through the rclone mount I get at max 300 Mbit

rclone mount over samba is known to be slow.
you can search the forum about that.
Need help for slow samba share speed over share in linux - #11 by mindtripper

i did a quick internet search.
seems that some gamers use iscsi

I have actually read that thread, but they share an gdrive mount via SMB
I just want to mount an existing smb share and use vfs for caching. Maybe there is another solution better suited for this task?

One thing you could try is to point the cache directory at a RAM disk? That should help with the speed. You'll want to set --cache-dir for that and also --vfs-cache-max-size

It would be worth experimenting with the --buffer-size parameter - try making it bigger and smaller.

I didn't try the ramdisk as I got the expected speed via windows explorer. I tried changing the buffer size with no success. Be it 32K or 4G

i would think that streaming a game is about random access reads, not the same as downloading a large file from start to finish.

what actually happens when you play a game?

I've settled for iscsi now. Until I get a faster storage backend :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.