Sharing/copying rclone cache directory between servers

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Wondering if sharing rclone cache directory is possible

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Dropbox

I am wondering if it is possible/supported to copy rclone cache directory between servers that mount the same backend (i.e. Dropbox)? I am interested in doing this to avoid reading metadata from hundreds of thousands of files from the remote and speed up the process since that read was already done on one server.

In general, it's not meant to be shared.

You can do something like stopping rclone, copying the data over and that in theory would work as it would be the same as starting and stopping rclone.

I wouldn't muck around with it as you can create issues if something was running and moved or whatnot, so use at your own risk :slight_smile:

My plan was to stop the mount on the source server, copy the cache dir and start the mount on both servers after the copy. Didn't know if there were issues anyone can think of with this approach?

Also, if I didn't want to copy vfs directory, would that be OK? I assume vfsMeta has metadata about the files and folders.

For transparency, I wouldn't do it personally as I'm not sure what could go wrong.

That being said, I don't see anything alarming offhand.

I routinely rebuild my server and never restore my cache directory as I just let rclone do its thing so I can't say I've retried this before.

What problem are you trying to solve? What is reading it?

When I need to rebuild my Plex server or migrate to a bigger/better/faster/cheaper server, a scan is needed causing a lot of activity against the remote. Trying to minimize that if possible.

YOu need both vfs and vfsMeta directories.

OK to make a copy of the cache, but don't use, eg NFS or SMB to share a single directory between two mounts - that is asking for trouble!

I move my server around quite a bit and reinstall as I'm sadly very proficient in it.

Pretty much if you don't change the paths and the server date/timezone is the same, it'll insta match the file and not do anything else.

If you change the path, it has to recheck it.
If you change the timezone, it'll recheck it.

Keep them the same, it won't.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.