Sftp backend problems with symlinks

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

symlinks don't get copied with sftp remote

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.50.2

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.13.6

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

SFTP. Copying between 2 remote intranet sites

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone --checkers=64 sync -P an:/NAS/DataSets/ /ceph/NAS/DataSets/

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[an]
type = sftp
host = xxxx.xx.xx
user = root
key_file = ~/.ssh/xxxxx
use_insecure_cipher = true
md5sum_command = md5sum
sha1sum_command = sha1sum

A log from the command with the -vv flag

syncing a single symlink..

# rclone --checkers=64 sync -P an:xxx xxx
2022-02-10 11:55:09 ERROR : : error reading source directory: directory not found
2022-02-10 11:55:09 ERROR : Local file system at xxx: not deleting files as there were IO errors
2022-02-10 11:55:09 ERROR : Local file system at xxx: not deleting directories as there were IO errors
2022-02-10 11:55:09 ERROR : Attempt 1/3 failed with 2 errors and: directory not found
2022-02-10 11:55:09 ERROR : : error reading source directory: directory not found
2022-02-10 11:55:09 ERROR : Local file system at xxx: not deleting files as there were IO errors
2022-02-10 11:55:09 ERROR : Local file system at xxx: not deleting directories as there were IO errors
2022-02-10 11:55:09 ERROR : Attempt 2/3 failed with 2 errors and: directory not found
2022-02-10 11:55:09 ERROR : Attempt 3/3 failed with 2 errors and: directory not found
Transferred:             0 / 0 Bytes, -, 0 Bytes/s, ETA -
Errors:                 2 (retrying may help)
Checks:                 0 / 0, -
Transferred:            0 / 0, -
Elapsed time:          0s
2022/02/10 11:55:09 Failed to sync with 2 errors: last error was: directory not found
# 

The debug log has your answer it, but you didn't include one :frowning:

-L, --copy-links                                   Follow symlinks and copy the pointed to item

You have a very old version so you really want to update that as well.

well, that's the latest version in Ubuntu 20.04. Not that I am not willing to update to the latest downloadable, but "somebody" would need to update the ubuntu packages.

-L does not do what I want. I want to copy the links, not the contents of where the links are pointing to.
I also tried -l, but that didn't work either.

I will update to the newest rclone and see if that helps.

Thank you!

George

Any repo has a maintainer as that's not something done by rclone. Feel free to ask them to maintain it as the only one we support is the install path from here.

Same error with

rclone v1.57.0
- os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 5.4.0-96-generic (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.17.2
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

Generally cloud remotes, have no idea about symbolic links as that's an OS level type thing.

You can follow the link using the option I shared to copy it or you can ignore it and not copy it.

If you want to copy the link, tar it up or something.

If that isn't working, you need to share a full debug log:

felix@gemini:~$ rclone copy /home/felix/test /home/felix/test2
2022/02/10 14:59:22 NOTICE: blah: Can't follow symlink without -L/--copy-links
felix@gemini:~$ rclone copy /home/felix/test /home/felix/test2  -L
felix@gemini:~$ ls /home/felix/test2
blah
felix@gemini:~$ cat /home/felix/test2
cat: /home/felix/test2: Is a directory
felix@gemini:~$ cat /home/felix/test2/blah
127.0.0.1	localhost

Are you trying to copy the symlinks as symlinks?

If you were doing a local -> anything transfer then using this flag would be the right thing to do.

-l, --links                               Translate symlinks to/from regular files with a '.rclonelink' extension

However the SFTP backend doesn't support that flag at the moment - it is only a local backend flag.

So we could have an equivalent flag for the SFTP backend - say --sftp-links which would cause symlinks to show as link.rclonelink files and that would allow them to be copied to/from local systems or elsewhere.

There is actually an issue about this already

If you want you could help implementing it, or maybe your company would like to sponsor me to implement it?

1 Like

Yes, I tried the "-l" flag, too, and it didn't work. I am using sftp -> local (but local -> sftp would also work for me, if I start the job from the remote machine).

You said the sftp backend does not support copying that flag. However, since sftp usually works from/to unix machines, I don't see any reason why there is a need to support the "-l" flag (that creates the .rclonelink files), or any other flag, for that matter.

Looks like the right solution would be for the sftp backend to just do the right thing for symlinks; no additional flags needed.

can you share you test case and how that works?

felix@gemini:~/test$ ls -al
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 1 felix felix   8 Feb 11 12:39 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 felix felix 336 Feb 11 12:40 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 felix felix  10 Feb 11 12:39 blah -> /etc/hosts
felix@gemini:~/test$ scp blah home:~/test2
blah                                                                                                                                                                                                                              100%  184   744.0KB/s   00:00
felix@gemini:~/test$ cd ..
felix@gemini:~$ cd test2
felix@gemini:~/test2$ ls
blah
felix@gemini:~/test2$ ls -al
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 1 felix felix   8 Feb 11 12:42 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 felix felix 336 Feb 11 12:40 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 felix felix 184 Feb 11 12:42 blah

I've only ever seen that work with rsync but maybe I'm missing a flag or misunderstanding how you are doing it.

I am familiar with rsync, too, and it works just fine there.

I am trying to duplicate the rsync behavior with rclone and I haven't been able to. So, when you're asking "how it works", I can only answer "it doesn't", and I'm considering this a bug.

I asked how does it work with SFTP and shared a regular SFTP/SCP example which you said worked.

I'm asking how that works.

This part of your post:

Can you show me what you are doing and how do replicate that?

Sorry, my bad. Replace sftp with rclone.

Let me reword, hopefully this time it makes sense:

.rclonelink files make sense for cloud stores that don't support symlinks, for example S3 and/or Google Cloud Storage and others. For backends with an underlying system that is unix-based and has symlinks, I don't see any reason why symlinks should not be transferred correctly with no additional flags.

-L and -l have their own meanings, both varying the base behavior of a "clone" when symlinks are encountered. A "clone", however, should be just that. The destination should be an exact copy of the source.

That's why I consider this a bug.

Every other program I've used to copy files follow symlinks and copies the data like the basic cp command:

felix@gemini:~/test$ cp blah test
felix@gemini:~/test$ ls -al
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 1 felix felix  16 Feb 11 23:35 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 felix felix 336 Feb 11 17:11 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 felix felix 184 Feb 11 23:35 test

I'm not sure where 'clone' comes in as the commands are 'copy' and 'sync'.

It is how many programs under Linux are designed and operate.

If you'd like it to operate in a different way, feel free to log a feature request and someone can pick it up or develop the solution and submit a pull request.

For copying symlinks and items over that nature, you'd be much better off using tar or if you want to copy something that is Linux to Linux, use rsync as it handles links fine as it was specifically built for Linux to achieve exactly that goal.

felix@gemini:~$ rsync -avh /home/felix/test home:/home/felix/test2
sending incremental file list
test/
test/blah -> /etc/hosts
test/test

sent 362 bytes  received 42 bytes  269.33 bytes/sec
total size is 194  speedup is 0.48
felix@gemini:~$ cd test2
felix@gemini:~/test2$ ls -al
total 0
drwxrwxr-x 1 felix felix   8 Feb 11 23:41 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 felix felix 336 Feb 11 17:11 ..
drwxrwxr-x 1 felix felix  16 Feb 11 23:35 test
felix@gemini:~/test2$ cd test
felix@gemini:~/test2/test$ ls
blah  test
felix@gemini:~/test2/test$ ls -al
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 1 felix felix  16 Feb 11 23:35 .
drwxrwxr-x 1 felix felix   8 Feb 11 23:41 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 felix felix 184 Feb 11 23:35 test

Rclone deals with cloud storage and very few cloud storage systems can cope with symlinks which are a very UNIX concept

The core of rclone doesn't understand symlinks - that's why the symlinks would have to be translated to .rclonelink files and translated back by the sftp or local backends.

It wouldn't be too hard to add symlink -l support to SFTP. It could possibly be added to FTP but that's about it!

From my experience, there is a reason that symlinks generally don't work for a lot of commands as you'd have broken links everywhere especially when going from server a -> server b.

If I'm using Linux to Linux, I'm not really using rclone as rsync handles things a bit better with permissions/links/etc. Right tool for the job rather than trying to shoe horn more local stuff into a tool based for cloud remotes.

The reason why I was using rclone to begin with is throughput. I am doing a site-to-site copy of about 60TB, and rsync (at least in our network) tends to be a bit finicky; throughput is not-consistent.

With rclone being able to do multiple connections in parallel it's much faster and more consistent than rsync (in terms of total throughput).

I think what will work for us is do the bulk of the copy with rclone, and then do a final rsync to fix synlinks/permissions/etc.

@ncw, having the core of rclone not understanding symlinks is the crux of the issue here. Makes sense now.

Thank guys!

George

1 Like

That would work.

I would like rclone to be usable for a local to local copy preserving all metadata, but we aren't there yet!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.