Seedbox crashing with rclone mount?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Hi, I am trying to keep seeding some torrents from seedbox (rTorrent/ruTorrent) to googledrive, but the seedbox is crashing after some minutes of rclone mount running. I don´t have sure if my rclone mount command is perfect for this purpose. Maybe is missing any important flag, maybe it were necessary to change any flag setup or if is necessary to create the rclone cache folder. As you can see, I have many doubts. If someone can help me, I will be grateful.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.51.0

• os/arch: linux/arm
  • go version: go1.13.7

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu Server 16.04 Xenial Xerus 32 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Shared Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount --allow-other --allow-non-empty --buffer-size=32M --use-mmap --dir-cache-time=84h --cache-info-age=168h --vfs-cache-mode=minimal --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off --vfs-cache-max-age=6h --vfs-read-chunk-size=32M gdteam-kdantas: ~/rtorrent/download/googledrive/

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[gdteam-kdantas]
type = drive
client_id = XXX
scope = drive
token = XXX
team_drive = XXX

A log from the command with the -vv flag

kdantas@ns3767732:/$ rclone mount --allow-other --allow-non-empty --buffer-size=32M --use-mmap --dir-cache-time=84h --cache-info-age=168h --vfs-cache-mode=minimal --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off --vfs-cache-max-age=6h --vfs-read-chunk-size=32M gdteam-kdantas: ~/rtorrent/download/googledrive/ -vv
2020/06/04 22:30:39 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.51.0" starting with parameters ["rclone" "mount" "--allow-other" "--allow-non-empty" "--buffer-size=32M" "--use-mmap" "--dir-cache-time=84h" "--cache-info-age=168h" "--vfs-cache-mode=minimal" "--vfs-read-chunk-size-limit" "off" "--vfs-cache-max-age=6h" "--vfs-read-chunk-size=32M" "gdteam-kdantas:" "/home/kdantas/rtorrent/download/googledrive/" "-vv"]
2020/06/04 22:30:39 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/kdantas/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2020/06/04 22:30:39 DEBUG : Google drive root '': Mounting on "/home/kdantas/rtorrent/download/googledrive/"
2020/06/04 22:30:41 DEBUG : vfs cache root is "/home/kdantas/.cache/rclone/vfs/gdteam-kdantas"
2020/06/04 22:30:41 DEBUG : Adding path "vfs/forget" to remote control registry
2020/06/04 22:30:41 DEBUG : Adding path "vfs/refresh" to remote control registry
2020/06/04 22:30:41 DEBUG : Adding path "vfs/poll-interval" to remote control registry
2020/06/04 22:30:41 DEBUG : : Root:
2020/06/04 22:30:41 DEBUG : : >Root: node=/, err=<nil>
2020/06/04 22:31:41 DEBUG : Google drive root '': Checking for changes on remote
^C2020/06/04 22:31:59 DEBUG : cache cleaner exiting
2020/06/04 22:31:59 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.51.0" finishing with parameters ["rclone" "mount" "--allow-other" "--allow-non-empty" "--buffer-size=32M" "--use-mmap" "--dir-cache-time=84h" "--cache-info-age=168h" "--vfs-cache-mode=minimal" "--vfs-read-chunk-size-limit" "off" "--vfs-cache-max-age=6h" "--vfs-read-chunk-size=32M" "gdteam-kdantas:" "/home/kdantas/rtorrent/download/googledrive/" "-vv"]
kdantas@ns3767732:/$

Seeding a torrent from a rclone mount on cloud storage isn't a very good use case.

If it's "crashing" we'd need a debug log when it crashed.

try --magic :upside_down_face:

1 Like

But the problem happens in the seedbox, how can I take a debug log to show the problem at the moment the seedbox crash? And how is it possible that I have unmounted the googledrive and the folder of the files I was seeding is still mounted? This is unbelievable!!! I just want to seeding old torrents, with no one traffic, basically.

You don't have access to the seed box to generate a log file? I'm not sure about your environment but without a log we don't even know it crashed.

Yes, I have access to the seedbox through webgui (ruTorrent). I have access through SSH too. But I don´t know how can I take a log of the seedbox. When I say that the seedbox has crashed it is because I am unable to open the Seedbox GUI due to the error message after assembly with the rclone mount command.My knowledgment in Linux it´s not so good. My seedbox is running in a Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS with a ARM7 processor and 4GB RAM.

I see. Just a a --log-file rclone.log parameter to your mount and it'll produce a log file. When it stops functioning go ssh back in and pull the log off.

Ok, I will do that.

I think I discovered why the Seedbox is crashing ... rclone is consuming 100% of the CPU of the server where the seedbox is installed. This problem occurs when a torrent is checking the contents of the folder mounted by rclone, or when there is data traffic. So I ask,
why is rclone consuming 100% of the CPU? Is there any way to solve this problem?

Rclone - Consumindo 155,9% CPU

You probably have a large amount of IO and lots of connections all trying to do scattered reads.

And that also looks like a small vps. What's the specs anyway? 2GB of ram. Looks like a 2 vcpu?

My OS is an Ubuntu Server 16.04 "Xenial Xerus" (32bits) with Armhf Cortex A9 and 2GB RAM. But I don´t have problem seeding 574 torrents or even more without rclone mount. But after I have added 373 torrents through rclone mount, just is necessary 01 file traffic to the mountpoint for crash my seedbox. I know that my system is very simple, but the question is: why rclone is using 100% of CPU?

Tiny CPU and lots of IO.

But as I said, OS is not an issue for all IO in the seedbox. Anyway, is there any configuration on the rclone mount command line that can alleviate this problem? I am running this command:
rclone mount
--allow-other
--buffer-size=16M
--use-mmap
--dir-cache-time=84h
--cache-info-age=168h
--vfs-cache-mode=off
--vfs-read-chunk-size-limit=off
--vfs-cache-max-age=1h
--vfs-read-chunk-size=32M
gdteam-kdantas: ~/rtorrent/download/googledrive/

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.