Running Plex from Crypt Remote on Windows 10 with Google Drive

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)


Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

type = drive
client_id = *[redacted]*
client_secret = *[redacted]*
scope = drive
token = *[redacted]*
team_drive = 

type = crypt
remote = gdrive:/gdrive
filename_encryption = obfuscate
password = *[redacted]*

I have 2 remotes setup for my Google Worskspace unlimited account: Google Drive and Crypt. Crypt points to a subdirectory on the Google Drive remote.

I mounted the crypt remote using WinFsp and nssm to G:.

I used the following settings in nssm (found in a Reddit post):
mount --allow-other --dir-cache-time 72h --drive-chunk-size 64M --log-level INFO --vfs-read-chunk-size 32M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off gcrypt: G: --config "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\rclone\rclone.conf" --vfs-cache-mode full

I am uploading files using Rclone Browser with no issues. I have also played some 4k remux content on Plex with no issues. My Plex server is a Windows 10 PC. My Plex client is Nvidia Shield 2019.

I have had no issues so far, but before I move my entire 17TB library to the crypt remote, I'd like to know if the settings I am using are optimal or if they will result in an API ban and/or other issues. Thanks!

hello and welcome to the forum,

  • as per the documentation, --allow-other does nothing on windows.

  • about optimal settings to move the library.
    not sure any setting will make a practical difference as max upload per day is 750GiB per day.
    might want to use --drive-stop-on-upload-limit

  • @VBB uses a similar setup to yours, he/she/it might have a few suggestions.

So, the first thing I noticed about your post last night was that you're not using encryption. Your file names are merely obfuscated. Might want to change that before you start uploading, so it reads:

filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true

Note: You'll probably have to re-create the crypt remote. Check Rclone documentation.

Other than that, looks like you're set on using a full cache, which I don't have any experience with. For comparison, I use this as my mount:

rclone mount --attr-timeout 5000h --dir-cache-time 5000h --drive-pacer-burst 200 --drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms --no-checksum --poll-interval 0 --rc --read-only --user-agent ******* -v Google_Drive_Crypt: G:

My preferred pronoun is IT, in all caps :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.