Restore from aws glacier is painful

I've been using rclone to aws s3 with transition to glacier enabled. All was well until I needed to actually recover my files. I did not find any way to restore from glacier without manually picking each object to be restored. This was done using aws s3 gui. I don't know if there is any simple cli method. It seems you cannot just restore a top-level directory and have it recursively applied, as you might expect.

Anyone know a simpler way?

Thanks,
Neal

hello,

that should be possible, based on the docs.
https://rclone.org/s3/#restore
"rclone backend restore s3:bucket/path/to/directory"

what command did you run, can you post that with a debug log?

rclone backend restore will not work on objects in glacier storage. You need to restore from glacier first. My issue is I don't see any good way to restore from glacier. This is not an rclone issue, it's an aws issue.
I tried using the S3 gui to do restore. If I pick the top level bucket, the option to initiate restore is grayed out. If anyone knows a cli way to recursively restore all objects I'd love to know it.

Thanks again,
Neal

do you mean a glacier vault?

That is exactly what it is for, to restore objects from GLACIER storage to normal storage.

Oh, I didn't know about rclone backend restore! Next time I'll have to try it.
Thanks,
Neal

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.