Request: Allow "source and parameter to --backup-dir" to overlap, if --exclude "/backup-dir/**" is set

Request: Allow "source and parameter to --backup-dir" to overlap, if --exclude "/backup-dir/**" is set. This way, the backup-dir can exist in the root of the sync pair.

Requirement: Because of the existing issues with SharePoint Online, the recommendation is to use "--backup-dir Sharepoint:Something". The issue I run into is that most often, I'm moving a single share to the root of a single Document Collection, so it's just not possible to use "--backup-dir".

Before anyone says clone it to a folder in the root of the Document Collection and then move it ... Give that a try with 1mil files and a deep folder structure :smiley: . It's just not worth it.

I run into this one pretty much every time I migrate someone to SharePoint Online, which of course, I'm doing as I type.

Thanks for the great project!

I thought we did this already? Which rclone are you using?

rclone v1.61.1
- os/version: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 6.3.9600.20821 (x86_64)
- os/type: windows
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.19.4
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: cmount

Thanks.Peet

This has been the case since 1.59 or so. What have you tried? I use this often and it’s a key optimization in some of my tools

Yes, this was done in this commit sync: add filter-sensitivity to --backup-dir option · rclone/rclone@11be920 · GitHub

@peet1 can you give a command line which has been failing for you?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.