Recommendations for using rclone with a minio 10M+ files

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

First and foremost, thanks for the excellent tool, it's fantastic!

We have got an in-house data centre serving all our applications and data services (everything on Kubernetes), we rely on kafka-connect-s3 for exporting our Kafka cluster topics to the Minio object-store as a cold backup option for Kafka (similar to https://jobs.zalando.com/en/tech/blog/backing-up-kafka-zookeeper/). The Kafka cluster is pretty big and some of the topics have got 10M+ records! and it gets exported to our minio cluster, The setup works fine w/o any issues.

I'm currently trying to mirror the minio buckets to another minio cluster running at a different data centre, I initially attempted using minio mirror, which didn't work and spiked the system load, so I have replaced minio mirror with rclone sync, this setup works for all buckets except for the ones containing millions of records, they do not sync a single file even after few hours of running.

I am using the below options for all the buckets which works well for all small buckets and I have tried plenty of rclone command combinations for making big ones (having 10 millions of records) work, but no success yet :frowning:

rclone --config="/etc/default/rclone.conf" sync minio-bkphost1:cassandra /bkp/minio/cassandra --bwlimit=150M

I would appreciate if you someone can provide guidelines on using the command options which suits for syncing buckets with millions of small files.

Thanks in advance and I am sorry if I am trying something really stupid (I am a newbie here, using rclone only since last week :slight_smile: )

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.51.0

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Minio (on-prem)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

:smiley:

Are the 10 million files in one directory or are they in a folder structure? If they are in a folder structure about how many files per folder are there?

Rclone works pretty well for big syncs, but its weak point is millions of files in a single directory - the sync works at the moment by loading the whole directory into memory which for 10 million objects will take quite a while and use lots of memory!

Here are some general tips for s3/minio

• use --size-only or --checksum instead of the default mod time. The default reads metadata from each object which doesn't scale well. Since you are copying minio -> minio both sides will have checksums so I'd recommend --checksum
  • using --fast-list can make a big speed up, however it requires that you have enough memory to fit all the metadata for the files in memory.

How big are the files you are copying? You might want to raise --s3-upload-cutoff so that they are all copied in a single transaction. This will ensure they have an md5sum and is likely to be more efficient for medium size files (say < 1 GB)

If you are uploading large files then tweaking --s3-concurrency and --s3-chunk-size can make a difference at the cost of using more memory.

Do existing files get updated? Or is it write once, then delete? There is a workflow which will work for that...

Many thanks for the detailed response! :pray: I will play around with the options you suggested ( --checksum, --s3-upload-cutoff)

Are the 10 million files in one directory or are they in a folder structure? If they are in a folder structure about how many files per folder are there?

They are on a single minio bucket (ie, one directory).

How big are the files you are copying? You might want to raise --s3-upload-cutoff so that they are all copied in a single transaction. This will ensure they have an md5sum and is likely to be more efficient for medium size files (say < 1 GB)

If you are uploading large files then tweaking --s3-concurrency and --s3-chunk-size can make a difference at the cost of using more memory.

The files are pretty small, ranging from 100 bytes to 1Mb max.

Do existing files get updated? Or is it write once, then delete? There is a workflow which will work for that...

These are Kafka messages and hence it's written once and they won't get updated/modified, Do we have any specific options those are well suited for this scenario? Thank you! :pray:

--checksum is probably going to help the most.

You could try increasing this too 1,000 is the max AWS support but I know Ceph supports larger and minio may too.

--s3-list-chunk int   Size of listing chunk (response list for each ListObject S3 request). (default 1000)

So the names don't have / in them :frowning:

You can potentially do a sort of manual sync like this.

rclone lsf -R source:bucket | sort > source-sorted
rclone lsf -R dest:bucket | sort > dest-sorted
comm -23 source-sorted dest-sorted > to-transfer
comm -12 source-sorted dest-sorted > to-delete
rclone copy --files-from to-transfer --no-traverse source:bucket dest:bucket
rclone delete --files-from to-delete --no-traverse dest:bucket

It would be interesting to find out how fast the first rclone lsf -R is on your 10M file bucket.

Thanks again for your response, I will try out the suggested options and get back with my findings, Thank you!

1 Like

Great! I just noticed that the rclone lsf above should probably have the --files-only flag too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.