Rclone vs acd_cli speeds

Do you have a script to check if the mount is accessible and remount?

For #2, can’t you simply just run
find /some/dir

For #3, Mine stays mounted for weeks at a time. You should capture a log if it becomes inaccessible and open an issue.

Hi All,

I have added --dir-cache-time 60m to my mount, it doesn’t seem to have had much of an effect, maybe a couple of seconds? I am getting around a 10 second delay for playback. I will do some further testing and generate some verbose logs from rclone and acd_cli today.

For those looking for a check and remount script, here is what I am using, I modified it from one that was posted on a acd_cli support thread. It was originally using ls -l for a check, but I changed that to find, this way it is doing my find for directory refresh and the mount check at the same time. I have it currently running it every 30min in cron. you will need to modify the rclonemount line to suit, and change any lines in rclone to suit your config. I am also outputting some stuff to a log file (you probably want to change its location), so I can see if/when the mount fails (so far it has only failed when I kill it), at the moment it is very stable. Also I am using screen to call rclone, I found with both rclone and acd_cli I get more stability letting them run under screen.

#!/bin/sh
LOGFILE=/boot/cloudstore/logs/remount_rclone_check-$(date "+%Y%m%d").log

echo "Remount Initiated $(date)"
appname=$(basename $0)

# Change this to the location of your Amazon Cloud Mountpoint
rclonemount="/mnt/disks/cloud/rclone/"

if [ $(find $rclonemount | wc -l) -gt 1 ]; then
    echo Everything Looks ok
    exit
fi

if [ $(ps -Al | grep $appname | wc -l) -gt 2 ]; then
        echo "Already Running! Count $(ps -Al | grep $appname | wc -l)" >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
        exit
fi

echo "rclone Remounting $(date)" >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
fusermount -uq "$rclonemount"
if screen -list | grep -q "rclone"; then
  screen -S rclone -X quit
fi
screen -S rclone -d -m rclone mount --allow-other --dir-cache-time 60m --max-read-ahead 200M --uid 99 --gid 100 secret:media $rclonemount

echo "rclone Remount Done $(date)" >> $LOGFILE 2>&1

Is pastebin the best method for posting logs, or should I be using something else?

Here are some logs from both rclone and acd_cli. Times were closer while I did these logs, only a couple of seconds difference, but acd_cli sped up when testing with logging off, from 10 seconds down to 8.

The last file played with rclone took longer than the others around 30seconds, compared to 10-12seconds. acd_cli also seems to be caching the file in some way, as a second play of the same file loaded faster than the first play. 10 seconds down to about 6.

rclone
http://pastebin.com/0B2LH6fE

acd_cli
http://pastebin.com/4huJC7vy

Just want to say, that at the current speeds it is still quite usable, but still happy to help improve speed debuging if I can.

Thanks,
Wob

@Wob76 When I try to execute your script in terminal on macOS it never gets to the point of mounting. I get the log output saying either already running or remounting.

I have tested this portion separately & that works:

screen -S rclone -d -m rclone mount --allow-other --dir-cache-time 60m --max-read-ahead 200M --uid 99 --gid 100 secret:media $rclonemount

The problem is probably very obvious but since I’m pretty new to scripts I’m not sure what could be going wrong.

The key here is caching as you said. The multiple calls from plex seem to exacerbate that. I wonder if acd_cli is caching it itself or if it is doing something different with OS file caching.

This has tread has an interesting point about Plex cache.

Hi hari9,

I can’t help on a Mac, I am a Windows and Linux user, Linux in this case.

Not you will need to change the $rclonemount if you run the command by hand, it should be pointed to your mount point.

Wob

I did see that thread, I don’t have that kind of RAM in my box, I did check my buffer and it is sitting around 6Gb at the moment. Since the files I am pulling are under 1Gb I would think that should be enough. The --max-read-ahead doesn’t seem to effect my load time much, maybe seeking, but not load time.

Mac not much different linux , ill have look and get back too tonight . ( I run and support many flavors in RL)

wird I just try to upload whit Encfs and acd_cli the upload speed are a litel lower I think but I can mound it and play whit vlc whit out problem when I use rclolne to upload and encrypt and mound it cant play whit vlc I have try
rclone mount --max-read-ahead 200M --dir-cache-time 30m --checkers 40 --read-only --allow-other acd: /folder/folder

relly sad why are it like that dont get it im not after rclone I relly think it the most complete packet