Rclone vfs not saving chunks to disk

Hi folks,

I might be missing something simple here but I’m trying out vfs and don’t see any chunks saved to disk. The rclone command is the following:

/usr/bin/rclone mount --allow-non-empty --buffer-size 256M --vfs-read-chunk-size 128M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G --vfs-cache-mode writes --dir-cache-time 72h --drive-chunk-size 32M --allow-other --no-modtime --uid 1000 --gid 1000 --umask 0027 --stats 15s --transfers 10 --log-file=/tmp/rclonemount.log --log-level DEBUG cd1:encrypted /mnt/remote

I would expect chunkes to be present on the default location ~/.cache/rclone but they aren’t. Have also tried changing that to a different path using --cache-dir as well as messing with the vfs-read-chunk-size-limit to no avail.

rclone v1.44-094-g8c8dcdd5-beta

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.11.2

This is a crypt wrapping a google drive remote.

EDIT: I think I might be misunderstanding how this works. It seems that the cache directory is built basically for writing when the cache mode is not set to full or minimal so the chunks are only read into memory (similar to how plexdrive did it) but writing goes through the “staging area” directory specified. Is that an accurate explanation of it?

Thanks

Yes, that’s correct.

Odd thing is I switched it to minimal to test and the chunks still don’t make it to disk, only things getting written do.

Maybe let’s take a step back.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Compare performance of my current crypt->cache->gdrive setup to crypt->gdrive with vfs while ensuring chunks persist on disk like they do with a regular cache mount (so they can be reused).

Standard VFS is faster.

The cache backend has chunks that persist for reuse as that is what it really was designed for.

If you turn on the caching bit for VFS, it’s going to perform awfully slower as it has to get the file local first.

https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#file-caching

The VFS cache mode is more useful if you are editing files, reencoding a file or something along those lines and not very useful for Plex playback as an example.

What exactly do you mean by standard vfs? Mode < full?

Defaults.

vfs-cache-mode is off.