Rclone 'sync' with '--backup-dir' moving unchanged files and directories

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have completed an rclone backup to an encrypted remote with 'copy'. All completed fine.

The following day I ran rclone with 'sync' and '--backup-dir'.

Files and folders that I had delete were moved into the 'Archive' folder, as expected, and correctly removed from the 'backup' folder within the remote.

I also found a bunch of unchanged, un-related files and directories that were not modified or deleted within the source directories, in the 'Archive' folder. The original files and folders were still in the 'backup' directory location within the remote.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.54.0-beta.4900.095c7bd80

• os/arch: windows/386
  • go version: go1.15.4

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10 x64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Mega

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync "D:\Files" "/Files/Backup" --fast-list --drive-chunk-size 64M  --tpslimit-burst 10 --bwlimit "08:00,1.5M 23:00,off" --backup-dir="/Files/Archive" --log-file="C:\rclone\Logs" --log-level=DEBUG

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[backup]
type = crypt
remote = mega:/storage
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = *** ENCRYPTED ***
server_side_across_configs = true

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2020/12/07 11:08:50 INFO  : Files/Backup/break.docx: Moved into backup dir

Can you please include your rclone.conf and a debug log of the issue as listed in the help template.

This will be because rclone thought they were modified. A log with -vv will show why rclone thought they were modified.

I am really confused by your command though I have no experience with rclone and windows.

It looks like you're moving with local to local so why do you have a Google Drive flags --drive-chunk-size 64M, and tons of remote flags (e.g. --fast-list, --bw-limit, etc). I do see you have -log-level=DEBUG so it would be immensely helpful to post both that log and the config

Hey all, thanks for the replies.. It's a mega remote, not local. I've just switched it to a DEBUG log so the next time I see this issue I'll post the logs. I've removed the drive-chunk-size switch, was using this on a Google Drive account before switching to Mega, should have updated the parameters.

Just did a compare of source, destination and backup-dir interestingly it looks like the folders that were moved to backup-dir / archive had old folder names.

Source: d:\files\docs
Destination: /files/docs
Backup: /files/[docs]

The source had the square brackets.. I had removed the square brackets from the source [docs] folder after the first backup from the source and destination. Not sure why it has appeared in the backup. I'll keep an eye on it and see if there are other similar folders, perhaps I missed renaming that destination [docs] folder.

rclone sync "D:\Files" "/Files/Backup" 

is that the real command, as it does not look valid.

the name of your remote is backup and that does not appear in your command?
and remote must have a colon in the name of the remote, which is missing from the command?

can you post the exact command?

You're right, I typed it out from the batch file, it should be:

rclone sync "D:\Files" "backup:/Files/Backup" 

so it seems that you know realize that rclone did what it was supposed to do, correct?
if not, can you post the exact command you are using?

Hiya.. Yeah, it makes sense now, I'm sure it's just human error at this point! Will keep an eye on it going forward but happy to mark this as resolved, thanks all for the assist!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.