Rclone sync not delete files on destination

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

rclone sync - just dumping files and destination folder size is 3 times more the source folder size

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone version
rclone v1.58.0

• os/version: centos 7.9.2009 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 3.10.0-1160.59.1.el7.x86_64 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.17.8
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

yes on latest version

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

SwiftStack

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here
```/usr/bin/rclone sync source folder destination folder --transfers 80 --checkers 80 --checksum --ignore-existing --ignore-errors --max-age 3h --max-delete 50 --log-file /var/log/rclone/sync.log_`date +\%H\%M` --log-level INFO

#### The rclone config contents with secrets removed.  
<!--  You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable.   -->

Paste config here

[source]
type = swift
user = ****
key = ****
auth = http://****
domain =
tenant =
tenant_domain =
region =
storage_url =
auth_version = 1

[destination]
type = swift
user = ****
key = ****
auth = http://****
domain =
tenant =
tenant_domain =
region =
storage_url =
auth_version = 1

#### A log from the command with the `-vv` flag  
<!-- You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable.  Or use a service such as https://pastebin.com or https://gist.github.com/   -->

Paste log here

Pl note - I just added the "--max-delete 50" flag today. Wanted to see if that will help.

hi,
if there is an error during the sync, then rclone will not delete files.
that behavior can be tweaked.

using a rclone debug log would show that.

Hi! Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have used DEBUG option in the past and saw some errors - this sync is done long distance (between countries) so I am sure there will be errors at some point during the sync and over the years the files just built up at the destination.

So I have two options:

1. Delete the contents of destination and restart a fresh sync job.
  2. Clean up the destination to match the source - can you pl suggest how I can achieve this? Does rclone dedupe or check work ? If so, what would be the command?

Obviously, I do not want to manually compare and delete stuff - the data at source is around 4 TB and destination is around 16 TB.

Appreciate your help.

Check out the docs here

And then use --delete-during and rclone sync should cleanup for you. You might need to use --delete-before if that doesn't work.

Hi! Nick,
Look that none of these options have helped - did not delete any data. So, I had to delete all the content on the destination manually and planning to do a fresh copy/sync again.
So, I need some advice here - Should I use copy or sync ?

What will the command be - can you pl modify the below command?

```/usr/bin/rclone sync source folder destination folder --transfers 80 --checkers 80 --checksum --ignore-existing --ignore-errors --max-age 3h --max-delete 50 --log-file /var/log/rclone/sync.log_date +\%H\%M --log-level INFO

What I want is to make sure is destination folder has to be identical to source folder.

Please try removing "--ignore-existing" from your command

I think this is correct - --ignore-existing has been the root of all your problems!

Thank you Sl-Gundam and Nick.
I will keep that in mind the next time. So now I have an empty destination - I would like to make sure I have the right command to start the copy sync again.
Can one of you pl review the below command and let me know of any changes ?

Should I do a sync even thought the destination folder is empty or should I do a copy?

/usr/bin/rclone sync source folder destination folder --transfers 80 --checkers 80 --checksum --ignore-errors  --log-file /var/log/rclone/sync.log_date +\%H\%M --log-level INFO

I would remove this, unless you have a good reason for it.

These are probably a bit high, unless you've tested they actually increase throughput.

You can do either. I usually start with rclone copy as it is safer (it never deletes stuff) then try rclone sync --dry-run then rclone sync.

Thank you very much Nick. Appreciate it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.