Rclone sync multicloud

Hello,

Is rclone sync copying files locally (on the hard drive) during the transfer process ? It is for a multi cloud transfer.

Best Regards,
Majid ACHRIA

If you are copying local to local, sure.
If you are copying to some cloud remotes, sure.
If you are using cloud to cloud on some cloud remotes, no.
If you are using certain flags/config, yes.

It's a pretty broad question since you gave so few details so it's tough to give a specific answer.

1 Like

The general answer is no with caveats. If you sync from, say, DropBox to OneDrive, rclone will download the files and then upload them. However, I think it is done in memory so it doesn't actually touch your hard drive (I could be wrong there).

There are rarely any APIs from any cloud provider that will tell it to copy directly so it has to be this way. However, you can run rclone on a cheap VPS so it doesn't go through your home bandwidth.

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. To give you more detail it involves Amazon S3 bucket and an Azure storage account.

This shouldn't touch your disk it will stream data from one to the other via the computer you run rclone on.

I'd suggest for this that you run rclone on an EC2 instance or the equivalent Azure compute to save yourself transfer fees.

1 Like

hi,

if both providers charge egress fees then using EC2/Azure would not save transfer fees.
does that make sense or have i got that wrong?

1 Like

I think you are probably right - I just know that you can access S3 without egress charges from EC2, but if you've got to egress anyway then that probably doesn't help....

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.