Rclone sync is not decrypting my files

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

rclone sync is not decrypting my files

I've been running rclone sync fine the past few years on my Win10 computer. I recently got a new computer with Win11. To migrate rsync to the new Win11 computer I performed the following steps, in the following order:

• Installed rclone v1.62.2 on new PC
  • Encrypted my rconf.conf file on the old PC (rclone config)
  • Moved rconf from the old to the new PC
  • Decrypted my rconf.conf file on the new PC (rclone config)

I then proceed to run my sync commands as usual. As an example:

rclone sync --verbose gdrive_crypt:folder1 "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\rcloneFiles"

Everything appears to work as it always did, the only issue (and it's a big one) is that rclone is no longer decrypting my files. The first time I issued the command I expected rclone to grab the files from my encrypted remote, decrypt the files, and place them in my PC folder.

rclone did all of the above, but forgot to decrypt the files. All the files have been downloaded to my windows folder, but they're all encrypted with their weird file names. As an example my regular file.txt file is now named ief893FhEuihf93ffQsSSc39939Ehfhhehe43839h4.

What do I do to fix this issue?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.62.2

Are you on the latest version of rclone?

Yes, I am on the latest version

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync --verbose gdrive_crypt:folder1 "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\rcloneFiles"

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[gdrive_crypt]
type = crypt
remote = gdrive_crypt:folder1
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = leftBlankToRemoveTheSecret
password2 = leftBlankToRemoveTheSecret

can you post full output of rclone lsd gdrive_crypt: -vv?

2023/05/01 17:09:42 DEBUG : Using config file from "C:\\Users\\gamingComp\\Desktop\\rcloneFiles\\rclone-v1.62.2-windows-amd64\\rclone.conf"
                                       -1 2019-10-02 15:21:09               -1 folder1
                                       -1 2019-10-02 15:29:48               -1 folder2
                                       -1 2019-10-02 15:37:15               -1 folder3
                                       -1 2019-10-02 15:46:42               -1 folder4
2023/05/01 17:09:42 DEBUG : 5 go routines active

Your config looks wrong.

There is no passwords listed in there.

[dcrypt-test]
type = crypt
remote = REMOTE:crypt
filename_encryption = standard
password = apassword
password2 = apassword
directory_name_encryption = true
[gdrive_crypt]
type = crypt

looks like you have a recursive remote.
perhaps that should be something like

[gdrive_crypt]
type = crypt
remote = gdrive:folder1

can you post full output of rclone lsd gdrive_crypt: -vv

@Animosity022 there were passwords on my config that I didn't include. I went back and added dummy passwords to the original post for completeness.

@asdffdsa I added the output of rclone lsd gdrive_crypt: -vv to the original post just now. The old rconf.conf has remote = gdrive_crypt:folder1 and has always worked fine. So I'm not sure if that's the issue. Why isn't it decrypting on the new Win11 PC?

we can only work from what you post, and that is not what you posted up above???

that output looks to me.

that is just a snippet, not the full output

and try not to keep re-editing old posts, just start a new post each time, ok?

@asdffdsa I'll make a new post each time, to make things easier to follow.

The original rconf.conf that I simply copied from oldPC to newPC, has the same contents, one line being:

so I don't suspect that's the issue. And here's the full output you requested:

2023/05/01 17:09:42 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.62.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "lsd" "gdrive_crypt:" "-vv"
2023/05/01 17:09:42 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "gdrive_crypt:"
2023/05/01 17:09:42 DEBUG : Using config file from "C:\\Users\\gamingComp\\Desktop\\rcloneFiles\\rclone-v1.62.2-windows-amd64\\rclone.conf"
                                       -1 2019-10-02 15:21:09               -1 folder1
                                       -1 2019-10-02 15:29:48               -1 folder2
                                       -1 2019-10-02 15:37:15               -1 folder3
                                       -1 2019-10-02 15:46:42               -1 folder4
2023/05/01 17:09:42 DEBUG : 5 go routines active

I'm just scratching my head how rclone can download the files encrypted, it just can't seem to decrypt them.

@asdffdsa and @coccoj74429 the issuing command had a typo and I just noticed. Everything is now working fine. Thank you for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.