RClone still uses cache with Onedrive even when disabled

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am trying to use rclone with Onedrive with no cache. For example I want to do virtual machine cloning or zipping to onedrive when I dont have enough local storage to store it. So it should use no local cache. I tested it with dd, head and similar commands to create large dummy files, and no matter what I do rclone always creates rclone-spool subfolders under /tmp.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.67.0-beta.7867.2c7680050

• os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.4.0-128-generic (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.22.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

MS Onedrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount Sharename:/ ./Onedrive --daemon --vfs-cache-mode off

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

[Sharename]
type = onedrive
token = XXX
drive_id = XXX
drive_type = business
### Double check the config for sensitive info before posting publicly

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

welcome to the forum,

that is a known issue with onedrive.

i believe the reason is onedrive lacks steam uploads.
https://rclone.org/overview/#optional-features

can use rclone copy

It's actually not using any of the cache features.

If you have a log file with debug, we can show you exactly what is going on as @asdffdsa mentioned, it doesn't support streamed uploads so it creates a temporary file like mega or other remotes that don't support streamed uploads.

You can use rclone copy directly to the Sharename: if you want to upload without creating any temporary files.

I understand, but using rclone copy is not an option for me, because then I have to create a big ZIP file first that I can then copy to onedrive, but I dont have storage for it. I want to create ZIP on-the-fly and stream it to onedrive directly. So there is no way at all to achieve this?

On a mount with OneDrive as they don't support the required method for doing it? Nope.

You'd have to pick a remote that supports streaming for it to work on a mount.

1 Like

Ok, was guessing if there is maybe some workaround available for this, but I agree, probably not, because if you have to know file size in advance, there is no way to know that if you are creating a ZIP file. Thank you for prompt answers!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.