Rclone + sftp + cryptomator

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

None yet, but I am a bit lost. I want to use sftp to access a cryptomator vault located on the cloud.

Context: I currently have a cryptomator vault on the cloud that I connect to with NextCloud. However, since my website host already gives me storage space, I want to move my vault from my NextCloud instance to the website host's storage space. But that space is only accessible via sftp.

Is rclone the right tool for this? Will it play well with cryptomator's constant changes and million files? I tried playing around with the web gui, but I have to launch it every time I reboot, which is far less convenient than having cryptomator keep my vault mounted automatically. Is there a better way?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

• rclone v1.66.0
  • os/version: darwin 14.4 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 23.4.0 (x86_64)
  • os/type: darwin
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.22.1
  • go/linking: dynamic
  • go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

ssh/sftp

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

N/A

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

N/A

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

N/A

imho, unless you really need the storage space, i would not use rclone.
it is just another layer of complexity

sftp can be very slow with a large amount of files and is heavily affected by latency.

if you want to use rclone, then could test

1. copy cryptomater files to sftp
  2. create and test a sftp remote
  3. run rclone mount pointing to the sftp remote

Thanks for your thoughts. So sftp storage is not ideal for this. Since I am a bit dissatisfied with nextcloud, maybe I can use rclone instead of the nextcloud client?

the only way to know, is for you to test test on your setup.
up above, i shared the steps...

Fair enough, I'll try!

1 Like