Rclone serve or rclone mount? Google Drive / Plex Server but wanting to expose the remote on the LAN for direct connection

I currently run an rclone mount connected to my Google Drive. PMS points to the mount. I can't share the mount on the network and wanted to explore using rclone serve to do everything I currently do, plus mount sharing.

Is there anything I need to be aware? File size limitations? Mounting rclone serve in Windows 10?

so you have a rclone mount to a drive letter on your windows box?
and you want to share that drive letter on the network using smb?

I don't think you can share rclone mount with SMB, but correct me if I'm wrong.

yes, you can.
let me know if that is what you want?

Sure, do you have a tutorial?

it is very easy to do tho it took me a while to figure it out.

run the rclone mount command as system user.
then share the mount drive, as you would share any drive letter

I think the hard part is running the command as SYSTEM user.

I just open CMD and paste my rclone commands in command line.

use task scheduler.

I'm having trouble getting it to run as a task. I have it pointed to a cmd
file in the rclone directory. What directory do I put in the location field? My trigger is at startup, but nothing seems to run. When I manually try to run it in task scheduler as well, nothing happens. If I double click the cmd file and run it as current user, the command prompt and rclone mount loads fine.

when run as system, the program will not be hidden, cannot be seen on desktop. need to check task manager to see if it is running

post your cmd file

the trigger is optional.

C:\Users\grizzly\Downloads\rclone-v1.51.0-windows-amd64\rclone.exe mount --allow-other --dir-cache-time 72h --buffer-size 1G --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off --vfs-cache-mode writes --log-level INFO "Google Drive XYZ": Z: --stats 1m

The cmd file is "rclone mount.cmd" in the "C:\Users\grizzly\Downloads\rclone-v1.51.0-windows-amd64" directory

so when you run the task via task scheduler, you need to look into the log file.

and you can change
--log-level INFO
to
--log-level DEBUG

I've changed the log level to DEBUG and have it output to a file. When I double click the cmd, the log file is generated. When I run the task in task scheduler, nothing happens, which implies the cmd isn't being run.

Would the cmd appear in Apps, Background processes or Windows processes in Task Manager / Processes window? It's kind of moot tho, it doesn't show up in all three. Task scheduler has it Running and the Last Run Result is (0x1).

when the command is run as system, the default folder is c:\windows\system32
where is your config file?
either add the location of the config file via set.
in my .cmd i have
set RCLONE_CONFIG=c:\data\rclone\scripts\rclone.conf
or
at the top of the .cmd file add
cd C:\Users\grizzly\Downloads\rclone-v1.51.0-windows-amd64\
or
in task scheduler, in start in, add the path

So I use the full path of the rclone.exe file in the cmd file, which should allow it to be run from any directory, IIRC.

And now you'll laugh.

C:\Windows\System32>C:\Users\grizzly\Downloads\rclone-v1.51.0-windows-amd64\rclone.exe mount --allow-other --dir-cache-time 72h --buffer-size 1G --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off --vfs-cache-mode writes --log-file=rclonemountlog.txt --log-level DEBUG "Google Drive XYZ": Z: --stats 1m
2020/04/16 20:03:58 Failed to open log file: open rclonemountlog.txt: Access is denied.

use the full path
--log-file=C:\Users\grizzly\Downloads\rclonemountlog.txt
or add this to top of the .cmd file
cd C:\Users\grizzly\Downloads\rclone-v1.51.0-windows-amd64\

this is my .cmd file

set RCLONE_CONFIG_PASS=password
set RCLONE_CONFIG=c:\data\rclone\scripts\rclone.conf
set logfile=C:\data\rclone\scripts\rr\other\mount\log.x.txt
set log=--log-file=%logfile% --log-level=DEBUG
set flags=--vfs-cache-mode=writes --dir-cache-time=5m --user-agent="en07"
c:\data\rclone\scripts\rclone.exe mount wasabimediacrypt_user01: e: %flags% %log%

Thanks, I got it to work after seeing your cmd file.

My issue was that I wasn't explicitly pointing to the rclone config file location.

Thanks again for all your help!

One more question: Any ideas how to automate mount sharing using task scheduler? The share configuration disappears on restart.

not sure what you mean?
you can set the trigger to 'at startup'