Rclone + plex + gdrive. Can someone help me sort this out once and for all?

I've been trying for 2 straight days now to get the best configuration possible. I've read all the basic and necessary stuff and I've got it to run with a basic configuration.

My questions are these:

1. I've created my remote (Gdrive) and I didn't want vfs because i don't have a lot of space on my pc so I just used

rclone mount gdrive: g:

And added directly the G:/Movies/ directory directly on my plex library. Surprisingly I was able to stream a 1080 remux movie (21 GB) without any problems. Is there a better configuration for this?

1. I've read that if you don't use a cache wrapper, you can get banned from too many API requests from plex.
    What are the exact steps to do here? Should I create a gcache, point it at my gdrive, enter the plex credentials and than mount gcache only? Not gdrive? Should I use the gcache directory for the plex library instead of gdrive? Is there a good configuration when mounting gcache? I don't have a high upload speed.

2. I don't want to use an encryption since my upload is not so good. Should I be worried if I use the library just for me?

3. When I use the rclone copy or rclone move should I copy to gdrive or gcache?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The defaults are pretty good so I wouldn't stray too far from that.

I think that is old info now - I don't think the cache is needed.

Pass!

Copying to gdrive not via the mount is recommended for maximum reliability. If you are using cache then you'd want to copy via the cache.

1 Like

really, no need for cache backend.
https://rclone.org/cache/#status
"There are many docs online describing the use of the cache backend to minimize API hits and by-and-large these are out of date and the cache backend isn't needed in those scenarios any more"

who are you going to believe :upside_down_face:
rclone or redditt?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.