Rclone + opendrive failed to transfer file from cache to remote: failed to create file: Incorrect chunk offset

I see that someone reported this earlier (Rclone fails to upload large files to OpenDrive intermittently (Incorrect chunk offset/Invalid upload file size)) and got "Let's call it a glitch at OpenDrive and move on! These things happen at cloud providers.".

However, I'm opening this as I see this all the time.

I'm using the rclone Docker Volume Plugin and see the following logs:

Oct 04 14:55:43 ns518990 dockerd[24727]: time="2022-10-04T14:55:43Z" level=error msg="2022/10/04 14:55:43 ERROR : : vfs cache: failed to upload try #6, will retry in 5m0s: vfs cache: failed to transfer file from cache to remote: failed to create file: Incorrect chunk offset: uploaded=41943040, chunk_offset=52428800 (Error 400)" plugin=cab963f65004a7bef6725eb6fe417e386f5345f154ceccd385c6e9a6771b4b1a

What probably caused this is that rclone uploaded a chunk but there was some confusion between opendrive and rclone as to whether that chunk really arrived. Maybe a race condition at opendrive, or a networking glitch. The result was that for the next chunk rclone and opendrive are out of sync, hence the error.

Can you reproduce the problem at will? If so a log with -vv would be very helpful. I suspect it will show the trouble started the block before the ERROR. Maybe rclone is retrying blocks incorrectly - that is a possibility - the log should show though.

@ncw Thank you for the quick response.

I'm not sure about "at will" but the error is repeatedly happening so I think I'd know if it is fixed somehow.

(How) Can I get the -vv log with the rclone Docker Volume Plugin?

I found Docker plugin fail to start/reinstall - #5 by ivandeex

docker plugin disable rclone # just to be sure, probably unneeded
docker plugin set rclone args="-vv" # bump up verbosity
docker plugin enable rclone # this will fail :frowning: but also report in

A selection of some of the things I can see in the log:

• vfs cache: failed to upload try #1, will retry in 10s: vfs cache: failed to transfer file file from cache to remote: failed to create file: File update error. Temp file doesn't exist. Please restart task.
  • Failed to copy: failed to create file: File update error. Temp file doesn't exist. Please restart task. (Error 400)
  • vfs cache: failed to upload try #6, will retry in 5m0s: vfs cache: failed to transfer file from cache to remote: failed to create file: Incorrect chunk offset: uploaded=41943040, chunk_offset=52428800 (Error 400)

This error popped up in this thread too

That's probably the root cause. Can you ask opendrive support about the error Temp file doesn't exist. Please restart task. - I suspect it is a problem with one of their backends.

@ncw Thank you again for helping on this.

I will ask OpenDrive about this.

FWIW, one difference between me and that other post (I believe) is that my OpenDrive Activity Log shows file/chunk deletions (not purposefully prompted by me):

That is proably rclone deleting or trying to delete the failed uploads

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.