Rclone not recognizing files already uploaded anymore

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I usually upload the same folder after I've added things to it, so that they are backed up on my GDrive. But now all of sudden, rclone doesn't just upload the new files added to the folder but all the files. Even the ones uploaded already.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

v1.48.0

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy "home/tom/Files/4KREMUX" "gcrypt:/Archives/4K Movies" -v --stats 10s

Normally, this would mean that the files are not considered identical and that they have a different size, name (including directory location) or modified date. If any of these are true, that is intended behaviour. --track renames can be used to intelligently detect files that got moved/renamed if needed to avoid unnecessary re-uploads.

Otherwise, if you can't make your observations make sense with the expected behaviour then I recommend you add -vv (debug output) to your commandline and post a full log where you replicate the issue (you might want to try and keep the log short by only logging the unexpected behavior on a few files because debug output can be long and hard to parse).

If you need to log the result directly to a file, you can use
---log-file c:\mylogfile.txt (windows example, linux may use different paths)

If you run the command with -vv and share the log as that's the last part of the template, we can see why :slight_smile:

Even the modified date? That's probably why. Didn't realize that mattered.

Looks like it was the modified date. Didn't realize that mattered.

Yea, modified matters, and for good reason.
If it didn't check modified then your backed-up files would end up being woefully out of date after a while.

You can - if you really want to - disable the comparison of modified date (see rclone main "usage" doucumentation page), but as I said this will make files with recent changes not replace older files, so this would only be useful for very spesific use-cases.

Yes, there a few defaults that would impact the files being transferred. The logs with -vv will always show you why. Depending on what your use case is, you may want to change the defaults.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.