Rclone mount: set volume size

Hey everyone,

before pushing a feature request in GitHub, I thought I might as well add this here first.

What problem am I trying to solve?
I'd like to propose a new flag that sets the volume size when mounting a remote. This is especially great for when the remote is an object storage. That way, one can limit the "disk" size to a specified amount of GB or TB instead of it showing as a 1PB sized drive in the file explorer.

For instance, someine might want to use a remote within their free tier only, so not save more than the specified amount of GB. In this case, limiting the volume size would be helpful.

How do I think rclone should be changed to solve that?
Using the --vfs-used-is-size flag lets the explorer know the used space, which is great. But also being able to to limit the mounted drive's size to a specified amount of GB or TB would be great either.

For instance, a new --volume-size flag for the mount command could be introduced to work like

rclone.exe mount REMOTE:BUCKET Z: -o volname=BucketName --volume-size 100G --vfs-used-is-size --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 5G --cache-dir R:\BUCKETCACHE

Any thoughts or interest on this?

Yes and no.

Override TOTAL in configuration · Issue #3997 · rclone/rclone (github.com)

But that has been around for some time so not the right person has picked it up yet so not interesting I guess :slight_smile:

Thanks for referring to the feature request on GitHub. It's indeed similar enough that we can close this topic.

Actually we merged this fo 1.59

--vfs-disk-space-total-size SizeSuffix   Specify the total space of disk (default off)

Which is I think what you want. I will close that issue!

1 Like

Yes, this is what I wanted. Just tested it, it works perfectly. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.