Rclone mount read/write and read only Google drives

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am working on sharing access to my PLEX files using a read-only rclone config file. The read-only config would be setup to allow family to read my files without accidentally deleting them, while I maintain the rclone read-write config file. Ultimately I would want to move cypt files from 'My Drive' over to a new shared 'Team Drive'.

To test this I want to have both read-write and read-only drives mounted at the same time. In my rclone config file, and have added a read-only Team Drive using a new read-only G-suite account, along with my usual read-write Drive. What I am struggling with is mounting both read-write and read-only drives so that I can test reading files from the read-only location.

Questions:

1. How can I mount the gdrive to X: and the new gdrive-readonly to Y:
  2. With both drives mounted I plan to copy some files from 'My Drive' over to the new 'Team Drive' to see if the read-only account can access the files. If this is successful, move all files from 'My Drive' over to 'Team Drive', however, if I do this, are there changes that I need to make to cache or crypt in rclone?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Windows 10

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive (G-Suite)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount --allow-other --allow-non-empty gcrypt: X:

hello,
these flags do nothing on windows,
--allow-other
--allow-non-empty

you can create as many mounts as you need.
rclone mount gcrypt: X:
rclone mount gcrypt: Y: --read-only

Thanks! The "read only" is set by the user in Gsuite, however, I do like the option of mounting with the --read-only command as this would allow me to have a single user and save that cost. Granted, less secure than two users with one being read-only, but it's only family and I would be hands-on in the setup, which they would not come back and mess with afterwards. I'll give this a shot.

sure, it is good to have options

let us know what you do in the end.

I've had a PLEX server for years now, first at home, then when family and friends were added and outbound bandwidth was 6Mb/s!! I moved to a headless VPS 1Gb/s down, 100 Mb/s about 3 years ago. Last fall I setup RCLONE with G-Drive and moved from local VPS storage to G-Drive. This has been great, mostly worked, however, streams are limited to 4Mb/s. Recently with lockdown, Internet traffic has spiked, and most nights I can't even get a consistent 720kbps stream. I then setup a local PLEX server at home and copied the config from my VPS to use on my Windows box albeit temporarily. By removing any latency from me to the PLEX server, I can now hold 8-10mb/s streams from PLEX as it pulls down from G-Drive. This will now allow me to scale down my VPS (and monthly cost) and use it just for pulling content and sending to G-Drive, and any latency/PLEX buffering would be due to each individual user setup and bandwidth.

If I were adding in a number of techie friends that would look to tinker, I would definitely go with the additional G-Suite read-only user and a "Team Shared Drive" folder. Adding this Team Drive to RCLONE was easy and would give me my personal read-write account, and a read-only account. However, as it is only family and a few close friends that dare not mess with it, I can save teh extra $12 a month and keep the single user.

I give this explanation so that anyone considering this type of setup will not be put-off with how difficult the setup is. @Animosity022 has a great guide on how to setup and get going, and to be honest I couldn't go into detail on how RCLONE does what it does, other it encrypts and decrypts on the fly and just works.

Thanks for the support and I hope this helps someone else.

It sounds like you want to share your Rclone config file with friends and family. That's something I would never, ever do. That file is the key to your encrypted vault. It will give anyone who has it access to your stuff, even if they don't know your password and salt. If something happens, and you then decide to change the password or the salt to prevent further access, you will still lose anything that's already encrypted. Sharing Plex access is one thing, but giving other people access to your encrypted Gdrive directly is a big no-no in my book. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding something here...

This was my initial thought on why I would create a Read-Only user in G-Suite and use that to configure Rclone as I would have a full Read-Write user and a Read-Only user. However, the only thing that is in the G-Suite folder being served up through RCLONE is PLEX media files. This then led to thinking that I could just setup read only access through RCLONE (security through obscurity as it were). Still thinking on this whole thing, as I may use G-Suite for other crypted files in other folders not served up through the RCLONE config file that would be on family PC's.

I gotcha, but I honestly wouldn't do it. Plex access is more than enough :stuck_out_tongue:

You can also set a read only scope when configuring rclone. That means the token that rclone gets can't be used to write.

Scope that rclone should use when requesting access from drive.
Choose a number from below, or type in your own value
[snip]
 2 / Read-only access to file metadata and file contents.
   \ "drive.readonly"

Using the --read-only flag as well is a good idea since it stops rclone having to go to the cloud provider and attempt to write something only to get an error.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.