Rclone mount proton -> empty directory

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Hi, I am trying to mount a proton drive on fedora and am still new to this, so still struggling. Since I am on Silverblue, this is happening within toolbox.

When I mount the remote, it seems like it's successful (as in, there are no error messages), but the local folder stays empty and does not show any of the files that are in the drive. When I try rclone lsd remote:, I properly get the list of directories on the remote, so the connection is working.

Am I missing something obvious?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone 1.66.0

• os/version: fedora 40 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 6.8.4-300.fc40.x86_64 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.22.1
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Proton drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount /var/home/[username]/.var/mnt/Proton-drive proton-drive:

where "Proton-drive" is a existing, local, empty directory, and "proton-drive:" is my configured remote

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

[other-remote]
type = sftp
host = XXX
pass = XXX
user = XXX
disable_hashcheck = true
shell_type = unix

[proton-drive]
type = protondrive
username = [email]
password = XXX
2fa = 263784
client_uid = XXX
client_access_token = XXX
client_refresh_token = XXX
client_salted_key_pass = XXX
enable_caching = false

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

2024/04/11 10:39:18 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.66.0" starting with parameters ["rclone" "mount" "proton-drive:" "/var/home/[username]/.var/mnt/Proton-drive" "-vv"]
2024/04/11 10:39:18 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "proton-drive:"
2024/04/11 10:39:18 DEBUG : Using config file from "/var/home/[username]/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2024/04/11 10:39:18 DEBUG : proton drive root link ID '': Has cached credentials
2024/04/11 10:39:19 DEBUG : proton drive root link ID '': Used cached credential to initialize the ProtonDrive API
2024/04/11 10:39:19 INFO  : proton drive root link ID '': poll-interval is not supported by this remote
2024/04/11 10:39:19 NOTICE: proton drive root link ID '': --vfs-cache-mode writes or full is recommended for this remote as it can't stream
2024/04/11 10:39:19 DEBUG : proton drive root link ID '': Mounting on "/var/home/[username]/.var/mnt/Proton-drive"
2024/04/11 10:39:20 DEBUG : : Root:
2024/04/11 10:39:20 DEBUG : : >Root: node=/, err=<nil>

If I run with --daemon, then I get:

2024/04/11 10:41:18 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.66.0" starting with parameters ["rclone" "mount" "proton-drive:" "/var/home/[username]/.var/mnt/Proton-drive" "-vv" "--daemon"]
2024/04/11 10:41:18 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "proton-drive:"
2024/04/11 10:41:18 DEBUG : Using config file from "/var/home/[username]/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2024/04/11 10:41:18 DEBUG : proton drive root link ID '': Has cached credentials
2024/04/11 10:41:20 DEBUG : proton drive root link ID '': Used cached credential to initialize the ProtonDrive API
2024/04/11 10:41:21 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.66.0" finishing with parameters ["/usr/bin/rclone" "mount" "proton-drive:" "/var/home/[username]/.var/mnt/Proton-drive" "-vv" "--daemon"]

Adding --vfs-cache-mode write does not seem to change anything.

Mount is only accessible by the same user so most likely you mount it using different user then later used trying to access it.

Add --alow-other to your rclone command. Make sure that you allow it in /etc/fuse.conf - uncomment line containing user_allow_other.

Thanks @kapitainsky. Unfortunately, this did not solve the issue. I uncommented the line in /etc/fuse.conf and added --allow-other. Still no errors listed (same as above), but the folder is still empty.

Note for others: when using toolbox, make sure you edit fuse.conf from within toolbox.

No errors in rclone log indicates that rclone mount works.

Problem you have is most likely related to how fuse works in your distribution and what is visible and what is not. Silverblue...has many quirks. I am not an expert here.

I would try to check in this distro community forum.

Indeed, and rclone lsd does work too, so the files/directories are definitely seen.

Ok, I'll try on the fuse/fedora side. Thanks!

EDIT: could have done this before: I checked the local mounted folder from within Toolbox and, indeed, the files are there and properly mounted. So, yeah, seems like a visibility issue.

1 Like

Maybe some solution would be not to use fuse at all and instead run rclone serve - webdav/sftp/nfs?

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.