Rclone Mount Not Refreshing?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

For years I have exclusively used rclone, specifically rclone mount, with Google Drive. I have now added an additional rclone connection for use with Storj. Transfers work just fine and I have it mounted as a volume. The problem is that the mount isn't...refreshing? Not sure how else to say it. The only way I can get it to show new files that have been added is to unmount and remount it.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.61.1

• os/version: gentoo 2.14 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.15.112-gentoo-whatbox (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.4
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Storj

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

screen -dm rclone mount --buffer-size=32M --dir-cache-time=84h --vfs-cache-mode=minimal --vfs-cache-max-age=6h storj:media ~/storjmount/

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

I get the output of help info about available commands and flags. I cannot update rlcone myself, as that is managed by my seedbox.

A log from the command that you were trying to run with the -vv flag

For reasons I do not understand...adding -vv to my mount command does not generate a log file. I'm sorry.

Paste  log here

storj is not polling remote so your mount refreshes but slower - it takes up to 5min instead of 1min for gdrive.

See docs

This is not true - you need a bit more patience - 5 min:)

hi,
only a few providers such as gdrive and onedrive support that feature, storj does not.
you can force a refresh using rclone rc vfs/refresh.

1 Like

use -vv for debug output, would see that storj is not a polling remote.

Hmm..I had wondered if it was just taking longer, but the last file that was added still wasn't showing up via the mount about 3 hours later. I had to unmount/remount for it to show up.

Editing to add that it was actually much longer than 3 hours. It looks like the file was added to Storj at 12:21am and as of about 10:00am it still wasn't appearing via the mount until I refreshed it.

I use cron to automate transfers from my seedbox to cloud storage on a schedule. In theory, could I do the same with the command you provided to force a refresh in the background without me even needing to think about it?

For unknown reasons, when I add the -vv flag to my mount command it isn't generating a log file. The last log file I had in that directory was from April. I deleted it and tried again, but still nothing.

I've found that the unfortunate truth for me is that rclone works perfectly for many, many months. So...then when I need to fix something or charge something...I've long since forgotten what I had learned about how to use it. Haha. I try to keep notes however.

Because you changed default 5min value to:

--dir-cache-time=84h

so mount will be only updated after 84h.

No idea why you changed it - do not use random flags without understanding what they are for (reading docs help):slight_smile:

Ahhh...that makes sense!

Also, the reason why is because that is the mount command recommended by my seed box here.

Likely a stupid question, but would you recommend I change that to 5min and would the formatting of that be: --dir-cache-time=5m

If you want 5min just remove --dir-cache-time completely. You only need this flag if you want to change default value.

Thank you for your help!

For best experience I would use mount command like this:

screen -dm rclone mount --vfs-cache-mode=full --vfs-cache-max-size 1G  remote: ~/mount/

--vfs-cache-max-size - set this to amount of disk space you are happy to use for cache

Maybe also add --vfs-cache-max-age=9999h - at the end if something is already in cache no point to evict it unless no space (which will happen automatically)

And my usual comment - update to the latest version (1.64). Every new version brings tones of improvements and fixes.

Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.