I believe these weird files are created if you ever run the developer test command for checking what characters are invalid on the backend ( forget what the exact command is..). It doesn't clean up after itself. I was scratching my head when I saw this too (a good while after I ran the test out of curiosity). You can just delete that folder manually.
I'm not sure why those test files would impact your mount, but if you haven't made other changes too then chances are that if you just clean it up things will get back to normal.
Can you not simply correct this via the web-interface of whatever backend you are using (ie Google Drive webpage for example) ? That way you'd be looking at the raw files stored which should circumvent any issues that occur in the mount-layer.
I'm not really sure what the ~/rclone part of your command does. That may be related to this.
But you raised an interesting point, which did work. I went to the web interface, and I copied all of the subdirectories to a new team drive, then re-created my rclone.conf for that new team drive. It worked. I can see all my files now.
But this is still a pretty big wtf for me. There are 394 "position" files of unknown origin on my old drive. Moreover, why would rclone only show those "position" files, and not my actual data, even though my actual data still existed? And moreover, moreover, why would I see different contents of the remote with rclone mount and rclone serve webdav?
Is rclone mount limited to 400 objects, by any chance?
No, definitely not.
And I'm not sure why this would happen - but that test is meant for development so it might cause weird behaviors in how the mount tries to read the contents. They are just files however - and as far as i can tell the test just uploads some files and sees what happens to them. Simply removing them should revert everything. Moving everything to a whole other Teamdrive should be unnecessary overkill.
I have seen those files before so they are not of unknown origin - they are from rclone. Some spesific illegal characters test I believe in some rather obscure command I came across at some point. Can't quite remember what the command was though as it wasn't terribly useful to me - so I kind of dumped that info from my brain Ask NCW if you are very curious about the spesific origins. I can only assume you ran that command at some point by mistake or maybe a typo.
Those files were definitely created by rclone info which is used in development. I should probably hide it a bit better! It isn't destructive though but it can create files which cause listings to go wrong which might be what happened here.
All the files were in fact there. There was no data loss. I would never expect rclone to do that. I trust it.
I was just trying to figure out why it behaved the way it did since it seemed like every way I interacted with the storage (web interface, command line, mount, webdav) showed completely different results.
I'll go run rclone info a few more times and see what happens next (just kidding)
If you want to run it, then run it on a subdirectory, eg rclone info drive:test-info - that is what I do.
I suspect it was probably the very long filenames rclone info creates that stopped the FUSE listing working. Drive can have 8k long file names which is well above what FUSE can manage. In fact I put a patch into 1.51 to work-around this.