Rclone mount does not see newly uploaded files to Dropbox

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

rclone mount does not see newly uploaded files to Dropbox that are uploaded via the web interface or other means (outside of copying them to the mount) even though polling is enabled. I also have Google Drive mounts which work fine.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.57.0

• os/version: slackware 14.2+ (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.10.21-Unraid (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.17.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Dropbox

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Mount is created like this (polling every 15 seconds)

rclone mount --allow-other --timeout 10m --dir-cache-time 1h --poll-interval 15s --buffer-size 32M --vfs-read-chunk-size 256M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 4G --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-age 336h --vfs-cache-max-size 100G --cache-dir=~/rclone-cache --tpslimit 10 --log-file ~/logs/dropbox-mount.log --read-only --dir-cache-time 1h Dropbox:~/media```

After new files have been uploaded to Dropbox, several minutes later, listing the mounted directory, file is not visible. 

#### The rclone config contents with secrets removed.  
<!--  You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable.   -->

[Dropbox]
type = dropbox
token = ***************

#### A log from the command with the `-vv` flag  
<!-- You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable.  Or use a service such as https://pastebin.com or https://gist.github.com/   -->

There is nothing in the mount log

Without any logging or details, it's not really possible to help you out.

Example polling for dropbox looks like:

2022/01/22 07:45:24 DEBUG : Dropbox root '': Checking for changes on remote
2022/01/22 07:45:24 DEBUG : : changeNotify: relativePath="blah.txt", type=1
2022/01/22 07:45:24 DEBUG : : invalidating directory cache
2022/01/22 07:45:24 DEBUG : : >changeNotify:
2022/01/22 07:45:24 DEBUG : : Statfs:

That's me dropping a file via the web interface and watching the change pick up on my mount.

You need to run your mount with debug, list out the steps you've got and reproduce the issue.

rclone mount DB: /home/felix/test -vvv

Thank you for the suggestions. I was able to turn on logging and see the change notify events. It turns out that changes are not being seen in one folder and maybe because the folder in Dropbox is setup as a "Team folder". Seems like rclone is able to detect changes on "Shared" folders, just not on "Team" folders. Keep in mind that rclone reads the files fine in this "Team" folder. Any solution for this?

See

Thank you! I am not following no path or only list operations. I need to be able to list and read the files (i.e. copy). Given my mount command:
rclone mount --allow-other --timeout 10m --dir-cache-time 1h --poll-interval 15s --buffer-size 32M --vfs-read-chunk-size 256M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 4G --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-age 336h --vfs-cache-max-size 100G --cache-dir=~/rclone-cache --tpslimit 10 --log-file ~/logs/dropbox-mount.log --read-only --dir-cache-time 1h Dropbox:~/media

How would I use --dropbox-shared-folders option in above command?

I'm still not sure what you can or can't see as there isn't any output or anything for me to go on.

If you can 'see' the folder on the mount, it would pick up changes.

The option I shared can be set in your rclone.conf via rclone.config in the advanced options:

I'm still not sure though that will fix your problem as I have no data to look at.

Thanks. I have some more info. I mounted in debug mode and was uploading and deleting files. I can see that the change notifications fire in some instances but not in others. Seems like they do not fire for a specific folder and all subfolders. I have the following structure:

/Plex
    /Media
        /Movies
        /TV
            /TV
                  /#blackAF

Anything I place in /Plex/Media/TV or below does not get notifications. If I pace files elsewhere, they do (see logs). Logs with "vfs cache RemoveNotInUse" messages removed to reduce clutter is attached. I also attached a screenshot showing that I added a file to a folder, Dropbox activity stream saw it but rclone did not see it.

rclone3.log (12.5 KB)

Seems like the log isn't long enough.

File was added, but no poll happened.

Your last poll in the log was:

2022/01/23 09:18:32 DEBUG : Dropbox root '': Checking for changes on remote
2022/01/23 09:18:45 DEBUG : Dropbox root '': Checking for changes on remote
2022/01/23 09:18:45 INFO  : vfs cache: cleaned: objects 219 (was 219) in use 0, to upload 0, uploading 0, total size 23.942Gi (was 23.942Gi)
2022/01/23 09:19:45 INFO  : vfs cache: cleaned: objects 219 (was 219) in use 0, to upload 0, uploading 0, total size 23.942Gi (was 23.942Gi)
2022/01/23 09:20:45 INFO  : vfs cache: cleaned: objects 219 (was 219) in use 0, to upload 0, uploading 0, total size 23.942Gi (was 23.942Gi)

So I wouldn't expect to see a new file. Did you stop the mount? Stop the log? If you remove things from the logs, it makes figuring it out much harder as well. The full log is really what is needed.

I went ahead and cleared the existing cache to start fresh. Mounted with debug and started adding/deleting files through the web interface and rclone copy commands. First log did not show any changes were being detected as I added several files in the TV, Movies and other non-root folders. Once I added a file at the root at 11:44:15, the changes started being detected and you can see several IMG files being detected as added and deleted in the log. However, once I started adding files to TV folder again, they were not being detected (see screenshot). Something odd is happening.

rclone5.log (6.6 KB)

Makes sense as if you are uploading videos, dropbox processes them:

Video Processing at Dropbox - Dropbox

I'd imagine, you'd have to wait for it to do it's thing which is why you see a delay on video files showing up.

I use crypted remotes on Dropbox and have zero issues as everything pops up instantly.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.