'rclone mount' clobbered my home directory after a typing mistake

I’m using version v1.36 on MacOS.

I executed rclone mount -vv ACD_crypt:/ ~/.

I intended to execute rclone mount -vv ACD_crypt:/ ~/Mounts/acd

This destroyed my user profile without warning. I would have expected the mount to fail because that destination directory wasn’t empty. Is this a bug or just my fault?

I restored from backup so all is well but others may not be so fortunate to have a recent backup.

It doesn’t destroy anything if you mount over something.

You can just unmount it and everything should be there.

To be safe, I always just use full paths to make sure as well.

I’d say it’s a bug to mount on non-empty folder with a dot but it won’t break anything. It just layers on top. Unmount it and your home directory would be there as @Animosity022 said.

You’re both right that files weren’t deleted, but my user profile was corrupted. It was like I just started up the computer for the first time. All preferences that I had set for Finder were now reset and my dock was moved back to its original location and all of the default applications were present there. This persisted across restarts. I had to restore from a Time Machine backup to get my home directory back to a pristine state. Regular old files like Downloads and Documents were still available so ‘clobbered’ is probably not the right term, but it caused enough chaos to be destructive.

Not saying I don’t believe you as text is sometimes hard to read but normally if you lost your profile by over mounting, it would be in the exact state if you rebooted.

The ‘mount’ doesn’t modify any files that are underneath it nor does it ‘destroy’ anything.

It would be problematic as things would be a bit of whack so restoring back would probably be the easiest option rather than trouble shooting.

mount itself probably did nothing but make the home directory unwritable, which probably caused a panic state and a reset on all of the system preferences related to Finder. immediately after executing the mount command I was alerted by MySQL workbench that it could not write to a file in my home directory. the Finder preferences reset persisted across reboots. the normal files like documents and downloads were still present.

I can’t recreate it. This is ubuntu. maybe its a MACOS bug. If you can recreate it then open a ‘issue’ so it can be corrected for the next person.

✓ robert [~] $
HS -> mkdir test
✓ robert [~] $
HS -> cd test
✓ robert [~/test] $
HS -> touch imhere
✓ robert [~/test] $
HS -> cd …
✓ robert [~] $
HS -> rclone mount robacd: test
2017/05/03 09:55:59 mount helper error: fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
2017/05/03 09:55:59 mount helper error: fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the ‘nonempty’ mount option
2017/05/03 09:55:59 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1
✗ robert [~] $
HS -> cd test
✓ robert [~/test] $
HS -> rclone mount robacd: ./.
2017/05/03 09:56:12 mount helper error: fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
2017/05/03 09:56:12 mount helper error: fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the ‘nonempty’ mount option
2017/05/03 09:56:12 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1
✗ robert [~/test] $
HS -> rclone mount robacd: .
2017/05/03 09:56:15 mount helper error: fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
2017/05/03 09:56:15 mount helper error: fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the ‘nonempty’ mount option
2017/05/03 09:56:15 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1
✗ robert [~/test] $
HS -> rclone mount robacd: ~/test/.
2017/05/03 09:56:39 mount helper error: fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
2017/05/03 09:56:39 mount helper error: fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the ‘nonempty’ mount option
2017/05/03 09:56:39 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1
✗ robert [~/test] $
HS ->

┌[ ✗ xbian [~] $
└─> rclone mount robacd: ~/.
2017/05/03 10:02:33 mount helper error: fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
2017/05/03 10:02:33 mount helper error: fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the ‘nonempty’ mount option
2017/05/03 10:02:33 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1

I have a Mac and it mounts over a directory ignoring if files are there or not. I really don’t use it on my Mac though so I’d suggest opening up an issue on github as it does seem to be a bug :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes open an issue and I’m sure it will get fixed sooner or later!

Issue created at: https://github.com/ncw/rclone/issues/1386

Thanks everyone for investigating!