Rclone mount bwlimit?

Does rclone mount work with bwlimit flag ?

I want to limit the speed used by rclone mount points to be 50% of my internet speed. So ideally, I want to have all files reads/writes on an rclone mount use bwlimit flag, say --bwlimit=5120k.
My goal is so that when I do Plex full library scan, rclone mount will not use up all my internet speed that in turn slow everything down in my internal network.

Short answer: yes.

But be aware of the units the command uses. (KByte vs KBit)

Are you sure? It doesn't work in my experience.
Here's my rclone systemd configuration file

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rclone mount dan2:/Media /mnt/Plexdrive \
      --vfs-cache-mode writes \
      --read-only \
      --dir-cache-time=120h --bwlimit=500k \
      --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 2G \
      --allow-other \

As a test. Then I run Plex full scan against that path. I monitor using nethogs,netdata, etc and it shows that rclone will use up all my internet download speed. It should have been showing that rclone uses 500kB/s at maximum or around that number. But it uses all 350mbit/s (43750kBytes/s)

Yes, it does work.

What version are you running?

Just run something like rsync -P file /localdisk

I just used:

felix@gemini:~$ rclone mount gcrypt: /Test --bwlimit 1M

and got:

on

felix@gemini:~$ rclone version
rclone v1.50.2
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.13.4

It doesn't work with Plex full scan/analyze. Can you try to measure it with Plex full scan of new medias? Preferably with my flags above.

rclone v1.50.2

I tested just like yours, and it works with rsync -P.
I even tested 2 "rsync -P" for 2 different files in one rclone mount and the speed of each file was perfectly split into half, so the total speed follows bwlimit, but alas it doesn't work with Plex scan.

My observation of rsync, it will start with full speed, and then after 1 minute or so, the speed drops down to bwlimit number.
So I'm guessing the same thing happen for plex scan/analyze. But I guess because during that process Plex open and close the same file many times, the window is too short before the download speed drops down to bwlimit number. So in the end, what we see is constant spikes of speed, resulting in rclone using full internet speed, not following the bwlimit number.
Thats just my guess...

Yeah, it bursts since it opens and closes it and doesn't have time to normalize:

There's already a known issue for that item.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.