"rclone ls" works, "rclone copy" fails

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am able to list all of my directories and files with rclone ls remote:/, but I am not able to copy any of them or sync any of them.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu Server LTS 18.04

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

SFTP

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone ls remote:/ succeeds
rclone copy -vv --dump headers remote:/ . fails

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

2019/10/17 20:01:53 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/ubuntu/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2019/10/17 20:01:53 DEBUG : sftp://xx@xx:xxxx//: New connection xx:xx->xx:xx to "SSH-2.0-Go"
2019/10/17 20:02:54 INFO  : 
Transferred:   	         0 / 0 Bytes, -, 0 Bytes/s, ETA -
Errors:                 0
Checks:                 0 / 0, -
Transferred:            0 / 0, -
Elapsed time:          0s

2019/10/17 20:03:54 INFO  : 
Transferred:   	         0 / 0 Bytes, -, 0 Bytes/s, ETA -
Errors:                 0
Checks:                 0 / 0, -
Transferred:            0 / 0, -
Elapsed time:          0s```

Logs from SFTP server:

Oct 17 20:06:52 pterodactyl sftp-server[12216]: 2019-10-17T20:06:52.920Z        DEBUG        server/server.go:127        accepted inbound connection        {"ip": "xx:xx", "user": "xx.xx", "uuid": "xx-xx-xx-xx-xx"}

Permissions on all files are 644 / 755.

EDIT: I can even mkdir on remote.

This works:
sftp -v -r -P 2022 xx@xx:/* .

With that in mind, is there much point to rclone for this use case? I'd like to get it working... not sure why the built-in sftp command works just fine

What sftp server are you using?

Does rclone just hang? Or transfer nothing - not sure from your log.

rclone hangs and copies nothing.

Here's the platform the SFTP server is built on. It's for a game server control panel.

Is it easy to set up so I could give it a go? Or maybe you could give me access to one?

It would take about 10 minutes to set up if you just copy/paste their instructions. Let me know if you're comfortable doing that or I can set up a VM for you to connect to.

I spent a little while trying to configure the sftp-server and the daemon, however I got stuck here as I didn't know where to get a panel from (or really any clue as to what it does!): https://pterodactyl.io/daemon/installing.html#configure-daemon

So if you had time to make a VM image that would be much appreciated :smiley:

Sure, give me a few days and I will PM you. If we reach a solution, we can update this thread.

1 Like

Hello, we ran into the same issue and I discovered the problem. Pterodactyl's SFTP server does not support SSH in any way, so you'll need to add the --sftp-disable-hashcheck flag (I hope you don't have to compare hashes) to get this working. :slight_smile:

1 Like