Rclone is really awesome 😍

I know we already know this but I just wanted share my how much I love rclone now.
I only started to use it 2 weeks ago and this is now no. 1 favourite app.

The main reason I fell in love with it because of the mount thing.

I made script which will download around 1TB of data (videos) from a website. But I have like 250GB SSD, so not possible to download then copy to Gdrive.

So, I mounted my Unlimited Gdrive to my dedicated server (120gb SSD), I started to download the videos on the mounted directory. I was 99% sure that it would not work, but turns out it worked without any issue..!!! I was seriously amazed with it. That's when I fell in love with it. :heart_eyes:

But I had an issue, VFS Cache was filling the storage with local cache, I was going nuts then after reading the docs again I fixed the issue with --vfs-cache-max-age 15m0s (15 min TTL).

The only downside is that on Linux, killing (-9) rclone does not kill the fusermount.

1 Like

In Linux, you really want to avoid sending a -9 or a SIGKILL as it terminates a process without any cleanup. You really want to use fusermount rclone or kill it regularly.

I use this command to start the mount:

nohup rclone mount remote:path/to/remote /path/to/local --vfs-cache-mode writes --vfs-cache-max-age 15m0s > /dev/null 2>&1 &

so, how do I properly stop it once i'm done with it?

I'd change that to this:

rclone mount remote:path/to/remote /path/to/local --vfs-cache-mode writes --vfs-cache-max-age 15m0s --daemon

And you can use fusermount to unmount it:

[root@gemini ~]# rclone mount GD: /Test --daemon
[root@gemini ~]# df -h /Test
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
GD:             1.0P   96T  1.0P   9% /Test
[root@gemini ~]# fusermount -uz /Test
[root@gemini ~]# df -h /Test
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda4       216G   66G  151G  31% /
[root@gemini ~]#

In my example, I just ran as root, but you can run as a regular user as well.

The thing to remember though is the mount really doesn't completely unumount until you stop the IO from it. So if you are writing to it and try to unmount it, it's going to hang around until the IO is done.

1 Like

Damn. I did not know this. Looks like I need to read the docs page again.!
Thank you.

Is fusermount broken in WSL?

harry@HARRY-MBP:~$ rclone mount gdriveP: /home/harry/testdir --vfs-cache-mode writes
2019/10/16 22:53:13 mount helper error: fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
2019/10/16 22:53:13 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1

That means you do not have fuse installed and need to install it.

What's WSL?

Linux environment on Windows.

harry@HARRY-MBP:/mnt/c/www/$ fusermount --version
fusermount version: 2.9.4

The error says you need to install fuse.

I guess check out:

According to another issue raised, there are no linux modules on WSL so you can't install fuse so you can't mount rclone there as it needs fuse.

yeah, i just read the same thing..
WSL2 is coming in 2020 with real Linux kernel.! I guess the issue will be fixed by then.

This may be relevant to you (WinFSP beta)

CHANGES SINCE 2019.2

• [GEN] WinFsp file systems can now be used by WSLinux. Use the command sudo mount -t drvfs x: /mnt/x to mount.

Read more here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.