Rclone Google Photos?

I’m looking for a solution for syncing all photos on a macOS laptop (raw & jpeg) to Google Photos.
Currently my client is using Google Backup and Sync, but the GUI is clunky, has few options, can’t be scheduled, uses too much resources, etc.

I’d like to have a CLI option to solve all those problems, and rclone seems like a good fit, if it could pull it off.

Is anything like this in the works? This would be huge.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Issue is captured here:

There is also this which may impact this. It's rumor only at this point.

That is a bit worrying. We'll definitely have to make a google photos backend if that happens.

Closed by accident.

1 Like

Related info:

Google backend is in progress :slight_smile: Just trying to get it validated by google so I can have sensible oauth limits then I'll announce it!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot! The main reason why I got a G-Suite subscription in the first place was to be able to backup my photos!

1 Like

I currently (probably like most) sync my google drive and google photos to Wasabi (encrypted) and to a local drive on a raspberry pi, so I am all covered... except of course now the Photos -> Drive link is going to be severed.

Thanks for picking this up Nick. Rclone is awesome! Use it for syncing, copying, disk usage, listings etc, it's the SwissArmy Tool for my file management and replication :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your effort!