Rclone crypt remote on google drive recreates path on every mount

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Every time I mount the remote crypt (created under a google drive remote) it creates a new folder in google drive instead of using the old one (I now have 3 folders with the same name in google drive)

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.55.1

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

POP OS (Ubuntu based) 18.04 / 64 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount securedgdrive:/ ~/cloud/securegdrive --vfs-cache-mode full --daemon

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[gdrive]
type = drive
client_id = something.apps.googleusercontent.com
client_secret = secret
scope = drive
shared_with_me = true
chunk_size = 16M
acknowledge_abuse = true
token = {"access_token":"nanana","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token":"nanana","expiry":"2021-07-21T18:59:35.004238102-03:00"}

[securedgdrive]
type = crypt
remote = gdrive:/securefolder
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = 1secret
password2 = anotherSecret

A log from the command with the -vv flag

2021/07/21 18:30:57 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/baby/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2021/07/21 18:30:57 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.55.1" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "mount" "securegdrive:/" "/home/baby/cloud/securegdrive" "--vfs-cache-mode" "full" "--daemon"]
2021/07/21 18:30:57 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "securegdrive:/"
2021/07/21 18:30:57 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "gdrive:/securefolder"
2021/07/21 18:30:57 DEBUG : Google drive root 'securefolder': root_folder_id = "0AGSULlYgDhZbUk9PVA" - save this in the config to speed up startup
2021/07/21 18:30:58 DEBUG : fs cache: renaming cache item "gdrive:/securefolder" to be canonical "gdrive:securefolder"
2021/07/21 18:30:58 DEBUG : fs cache: switching user supplied name "gdrive:/securefolder" for canonical name "gdrive:securefolder"
2021/07/21 18:30:58 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.55.1" finishing with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "mount" "securegdrive:/" "/home/baby/cloud/securegdrive" "--vfs-cache-mode" "full" "--daemon"]

hello and welcome to the forum,

i think you have a typo

the name of the remote in the config file is
securedgdrive
the name of the remote in the command is
securegdrive

The folder is called securefolder (the folder to be encrypted).

I see the encrypted folders and/or files using the google drive web interface, but when I unmount it and mount it again with rclone, the folder (in my mounted filesystem) is empty.

If I add something else (in the rclone mounted filesystem) it creates yet another new folder (with the same name) in google drive.

i think you have a typo

the name of the remote in the config file is
securedgdrive
the name of the remote in the command is
securegdrive

It's copy/paste typo (I edited the names because they were a little shameful) :slight_smile:

hard to understand what is going on???

post a config file and full debug log

OK.

Config file:

[gdrive-elbaby]
type = drive
client_id = something.apps.googleusercontent.com
client_secret = secret
scope = drive
shared_with_me = true
chunk_size = 16M
acknowledge_abuse = true
token = {"access_token":"asdfasdfasdff","token_type":"Bearer","refresh_token":"qwerqwerqwer","expiry":"2021-07-21T18:59:35.004238102-03:00"}

[guguelsecure]
type = crypt
remote = gdrive-elbaby:/secureishon
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = 1password
password2 = anotherPassword

Command:

rclone -vv mount guguelsecure:/ ~/Documents/cloud/guguelsecure --vfs-cache-mode full --daemon

Output:

2021/07/21 18:39:16 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/baby/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2021/07/21 18:39:16 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.55.1" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "mount" "guguelsecure:/" "/home/baby/Documents/cloud/guguelsecure" "--vfs-cache-mode" "full" "--daemon"]
2021/07/21 18:39:16 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "guguelsecure:/"
2021/07/21 18:39:16 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "gdrive-elbaby:/secureishon"
2021/07/21 18:39:17 DEBUG : Google drive root 'secureishon': root_folder_id = "0AGSULlYgDhZbUk9PVA" - save this in the config to speed up startup
2021/07/21 18:39:18 DEBUG : fs cache: renaming cache item "gdrive-elbaby:/secureishon" to be canonical "gdrive-elbaby:secureishon"
2021/07/21 18:39:18 DEBUG : fs cache: switching user supplied name "gdrive-elbaby:/secureishon" for canonical name "gdrive-elbaby:secureishon"
2021/07/21 18:39:18 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.55.1" finishing with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "mount" "guguelsecure:/" "/home/baby/Documents/cloud/guguelsecure" "--vfs-cache-mode" "full" "--daemon"]

In /home/baby/Documents/cloud/guguelsecure there is nothing after the mount
I create a directory and a file there, then run:

fusermount -u ~/Documents/cloud/guguelsecure

and it dismounts the remote (leaving the mountpoint empty).

If I repeat the mount command, the rclone -vv mount command, the output is the same (including the root_folder_id) but the mounted filesystem in /home/baby/Documents/cloud/guguelsecure is empty again.

Meanwhile, I keep collecting folders called secureishon in the root of my google drive.

I think this is the problem...

It is probably best to treat a shared_with_me drive as read only, othewise when you create folders they'll get created in the non-shared-with-me part of your drive which can't be seen from the shared-with-me part, and you'll get exactly this behaviour.

1 Like

Indeed, it was.
Thanx, Nick for your help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.